Radeon RX 6800 Series Performance Comes Out Even Faster With Newest Linux Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeb_ View Post
    These results are amazing. Having an open source solution that compares in term of performance in the high-end tier is very welcome. Congratulations to the developers.
    One thing I would be interested in is image quality, textures etc. I remember the time of the first Radeon ATi (circa 2000?), which had a better rendering than nVidia. Is there a difference between Mesa drivers? Between AMD cards? or versus nVidia?
    To add what ernstp said on Vulkan/DX12 there is even less room for that since Vulkan/DX12 kernels give much less options for drivers to manipulate something.

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post

The specifications (Vulkan, OpenGL, etc...) are much better these days and everything should look identical, there is very little room for adjusting things.

Also, some people said that the electrical CRT signals from some cards were better, but now everyone have digital connections so that's also gone...
      Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

To add what ernstp said on Vulkan/DX12 there is even less room for that since Vulkan/DX12 kernels give much less options for drivers to manipulate something.
      Thanks to you both for your answers.

Comment

Originally posted by zeb_ View Post

Can you please expand on that? Are concerns about stability or other aspects? I have used nVidia cards for quite a few years on an Archlinux system and they always worked fine with the proprietary driver. Now going open source is a big advantage in my opinion.
        If I bought a RTX 3080, I would have to start Linux in nomodeset, install NVIDIA driver from website or add a ppa since I use Ubuntu. Everything works great.
        If I bought a 6800XT, I would have to start Linux in nomodeset, download firmware, use ppa for latest kernel, use ppa for latest mesa, use ppa for latest LLVM. Going by my 5700XT experience: some games work, some crash, browsers may crash, GIMP may crash. Crashes didn't stop for me until a year after 5700XT launch.

In 6 months, everything that the 6800XT needs will probably be in Ubuntu 21.04 and I will have to do nothing to make it work.

Comment

BreezeDM I don't think there's any use for nomodeset with AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post

If I bought a RTX 3080, I would have to start Linux in nomodeset, install NVIDIA driver from website or add a ppa since I use Ubuntu. Everything works great.
            If I bought a 6800XT, I would have to start Linux in nomodeset, download firmware, use ppa for latest kernel, use ppa for latest mesa, use ppa for latest LLVM. Going by my 5700XT experience: some games work, some crash, browsers may crash, GIMP may crash. Crashes didn't stop for me until a year after 5700XT launch.

In 6 months, everything that the 6800XT needs will probably be in Ubuntu 21.04 and I will have to do nothing to make it work.
            I've never once had to use nomodeset with AMD. I bought a 5500XT and a 5700XT and both worked out of the box with Ubuntu.

Also, 6800XT from 5700XT isn't as much of a change as GCN --> Navi was. I seriously doubt stability will be the same issue it was last time.

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
              BreezeDM I don't think there's any use for nomodeset with AMD.
              You had to use it for the 5700XT before there was kernel support. You had to use it to install AMD Pro drivers for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS at launch. I am fairly sure you had to do it with Ubuntu 19.10 to download firmware and add ppas to get open source drivers to work too. https://old.reddit.com/r/linux/comme..._instructions/

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
              I've never once had to use nomodeset with AMD. I bought a 5500XT and a 5700XT and both worked out of the box with Ubuntu.
              The first Ubuntu the 5000 series worked well on was 20.04. You bought a 5500XT and a 5700XT and both worked out of the box with Ubuntu 20.04. The 5700XT released in July, the first Ubuntu to work well was 10 months later.

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
              Also, 6800XT from 5700XT isn't as much of a change as GCN --> Navi was. I seriously doubt stability will be the same issue it was last time.
              I hope so, but I am going to wait and see.

Comment

Sorry I should have been more clear: I had run daily 20.04 builds that had the support baked into the kernel

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post

In 6 months you'll actually be able to buy a card.

amd engineer resitas goes over stock... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsYhb45uWX4
                  Last edited by onlyLinuxLuvUBack; 24 November 2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

I have to make a bit of a confession. I got a little too drunk last night, I woke up this morning feeling fairly hung over. I read through some of my posts I made here on this thread last night and I realize a few came across how I wouldn't have intended them to.

I think I owe a few apologies for some of my posts, I do apologize.

I really want to see Clover become highly successful. For many reasons I don't like ROCm, which I think I tried to explain my reasons in the wrong kinda ways.

Comment

No worries... I only responded in detail because you do have good observations on things and if you think we are doing things wrong then I like to try and understand them so we can do something about it.

I would still be interested in your thoughts re: ROCm when time permits.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X