Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is radeonhd healthy for your laptop?

Hello everyone.

I wonder if it is save to run radeonhd on a laptop with hd3650, given there is no powermanagement yet? I really want to use it as the default driver, and not just on a test distribution. Its getting more hot than with catalyst (comparable with catalyst when a heavy graphic application is running). But does that hurt my chipset on the graphiccard?

If its not save, is there any estimated timeframe, within powermanagement is done?

Bridgman? Anybody know if a chipset is damaged with a longterm use of 100 % gpu?

Comment

It shouldn't cause a problem unless your laptop is improperly designed and not properly cooled (which, sadly, is far too often the case). If your laptop starts overheating when you use radeonhd, you probably shouldn't, but the only way you can find that out is by testing it.

Oh, and radeonhd doesn't necessarily use more power all the time, because, as I understand it, it doesn't even turn on some blocks of the card because it doesn't use them yet.

Comment

It should be no worse than running some overly demanding game or rendering app for hours on end using the official drivers on Windows, I would think. If your laptop would overheat and damage itself in that case, I'd return it.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
          It should be no worse than running some overly demanding game or rendering app for hours on end using the official drivers on Windows, I would think. If your laptop would overheat and damage itself in that case, I'd return it.
          Yeah you are probably right. But would the headsink be bios controlen in that case?

Comment

Yeah you are probably right. But would the headsink be bios controlen in that case?
            Yes, by the graphic card's bios.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Yes, by the graphic card's bios.
              Okay, then I could probably use radeonHD. It's on an asus laptop, so lets see.

Comment

you will loose alot of battery life though by running the fan at 100%

Comment

yeah but I run with the powercable plugged in anyway. :-)

Comment

In that case, make sure that ventilation is good all round the laptop and running it at full pace shouldnt give you any troubles. I know my girlfriends Acer laptop can't run at 100% for more than a few minutes without crashing...

Comment

Working...
                    X