Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• highlandsun
    replied
    Thanks to all for pursuing this. I've been a bit preoccupied...

In the spirit of St. Patrick's Day I'd be happy to send y'all a pint of Guinness for your trouble.

Leave a comment:

• bugmenot
    replied
    No problem.

*I* thank *you* for the docs and so free drivers! (and of course the devs, too )

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    I think that's right. Thanks for trying...

Leave a comment:

• bugmenot
    replied
    Here is glxinfo with indirect rendering (if it's interesting):

Gonna try openoffice with indirect rendering out...

Edit: No success, still the same crash. (I started via "LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 openoffice" and then opened the file. Is that correct?) Here is the xorg.log:
    Last edited by bugmenot; 16 March 2009, 06:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Yep, I meant you. Thanks !

EDIT - actually I originally meant highlandsun, but since you reported the same problem...

It would be interesting to try with LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT set, which would (hopefully) force any 3D calls to go through the server and be at least semi-serialized against the 2D/video HW accel operations.
    Last edited by bridgman; 16 March 2009, 05:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bugmenot
    replied
    Brigdman: Did you mean me? If yes, here is the complete output, I'm running radeonhd git + drm git (R600 branch) from today on my RS780.

In short:
    direct rendering: Yes

I did not test with radeon yet, but I think the problem does not occur there.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by bugmenot; 16 March 2009, 04:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Can you check whether glxinfo says that Mesa is using direct or indirect software rendering ? I'm wondering if there is some kind of (lack-of-) synchronization issue between SW 3D rendering and HW 2D/video acceleration.

Leave a comment:

• bugmenot
    replied
    Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
    But yesterday I discovered a fatal downside - using OpenOffice 3.0 hangs the machine hard when I minimize an OO window, or do various other moves/resizes. So far OpenOffice is the only app I've used that exhibits this problem...
    Yes, exactly! The driver is great, but sometimes locks up (with DRI enabled manually). I wrote an email to the radeonhd mailinglist:
    Hello, I think it's a very good idea to release. I tested exa on my RS780 and it worked good, but sometimes there were hard lockups, for example when starting/closing a presentation in OpenOffice ……

I don't know if there is already a bug report in bugzilla for this issue. In any case, I can confirm this bug.

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Originally posted by highlandsun View Post
    violino:~> soffice
    unknown chip id 0x95c4, can't guess.

I presume that it's some lower level library, and not OO itself looking at the video card's PCI ID ... ?
    That message is from mesa (r300 3D driver). soffice must use GL for something. There is no 3D support for r6xx/r7xx hardware yet.

Leave a comment:

• highlandsun
    replied
    Well, I followed this post

Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

to install the Jaunty Xserver on my Intrepid system, and now I can't reproduce the problem. It's now using the radeon driver, not radeonHD. I was surprised to see this message when I started openoffice though:

violino:~> soffice
    unknown chip id 0x95c4, can't guess.

I presume that it's some lower level library, and not OO itself looking at the video card's PCI ID ... ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X