• Moronix
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Just curious which hardware you have.
    If you mean me it's a xpress200

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Under F11 you may find you get *more* functionality with the open drivers than the closed ones even if Fedora were fully supported by fglrx.

F11 should be the first place where KMS, DRI2, RDR, and the radeon-rewrite effort all come together; I think it (or Rawhide) is also where most of the Gallium3D-on-AMD work is being done.

Leave a comment:

• Christian_L
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    In case it helps, we're not saying that the open source drivers are sufficiently advanced *today*. If we went with quarterly updates of fglrx for 5xx and below (like we're doing for Windows), the first update would be around June and we felt that the open source drivers were likely to be sufficiently advanced by *then*.

Today we haven't dropped anything other than an announcement; this is all about the future
    Yeah, we'll see... Would be nice if my old laptop could keep most of it's current functionality under F11. Bridgman, I really value your efforts here on the forums and I think that AMD's recent commitment to the open-source drivers was a good step, but the lack of support especially for the last two Fedora releases really ruined it for me... I think most of us don't care too much for GPU brands, but just want something that works with the distro they choose (especially if it's one of the more popular ones).

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    In case it helps, we're not saying that the open source drivers are sufficiently advanced *today*. If we went with quarterly updates of fglrx for 5xx and below (like we're doing for Windows), the first update would be around June and we felt that the open source drivers were likely to be sufficiently advanced by *then*.

Today we haven't dropped anything other than an announcement; this is all about the future
    Last edited by bridgman; 15 March 2009, 04:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Christian_L
    replied
    Originally posted by Moronix View Post
    I'd say 3d support is a major thing. It's almost pointless to use a 3d card just for 2d. But besides that, last time I checked radeonhd doesn't work on all chips that fglrx works with, like some IGP crap I have.
    I agree. It's really a shame that they drop fglrx support for those cards when the open-source drivers just arent't that far advanced yet. I guess I'm lucky that I've found a solution that most likely will work for me (radeonhd on my old laptop which I'll then use only for basic internet/office tasks/watching videos and a new laptop with Nvidia for the 3D stuff), otherwise I'd be much more pissed.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Just curious which hardware you have. If it's 5xx or higher then radeonhd should support it, unless it's just a set of IDs we haven't heard about yet (in which case we'd want to get them added to both drivers).

The last holdout was acceleration on rs600 (the Intel FSB version of RS690), but I think agd5f got that working recently.

Leave a comment:

• Moronix
    replied
    Originally posted by Christian_L View Post
    Not paying enough people and not caring for decent driver support is really the same to me...

Radeonhd works already pretty well on my machine for everything except 3D, which I sometimes need for work.
    I'd say 3d support is a major thing. It's almost pointless to use a 3d card just for 2d. But besides that, last time I checked radeonhd doesn't work on all chips that fglrx works with, like some IGP crap I have.

Leave a comment:

• Christian_L
    replied
    It's not about caring, they're being paid, they just can't keep up.
    Not paying enough people and not caring for decent driver support is really the same to me...

I suggest you stick with at least one version back if you're going to use Fedora. I only moved to 10 now because of mencoder, but now I find firefox is screwed. Horribly slow free driver.
    Radeonhd works already pretty well on my machine for everything except 3D, which I sometimes need for work. Luckily, I've been planning to get a new work laptop in the near future even before that recent announcement from ATI, so now I'll just buy that one earlier. And guess what, it won't have an ATI card (and I'll keep using the latest Fedora ).

Leave a comment:

• Moronix
    replied
    Originally posted by Christian_L View Post
    The fglrx developers don't really care about Fedora at all.
    It's not about caring, they're being paid, they just can't keep up. I suggest you stick with at least one version back if you're going to use Fedora. I only moved to 10 now because of mencoder, but now I find firefox is screwed. Horribly slow free driver.

Leave a comment:

• Christian_L
    replied
    I never succeeded in installing fglrx on F10 from the official installer, but the method described in the link I've posted before worked for me. However, I am on a 32bit system. Depending on the things you've already tried, you may have to clean something up first before trying that approach, like uninstalling the non-working official installer, or forcing a reinstall of the Xorg-server package. Or it may just be broken right now for your system and the current packages...

I know it's tedious to search through the 215 pages (hint: use "Show Results as posts"), but that thread on fedoraforums really is your best chance of finding information about how to get it running!

To reactivate plymouth, follow the description in the 3rd post here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204551

Leave a comment:

Working...
X