AMDGPU Linux Driver Seeing A Lot Of Power Saving Optimization Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Linux Driver Seeing A Lot Of Power Saving Optimization Work

Phoronix: AMDGPU Linux Driver Seeing A Lot Of Power Saving Optimization Work

In addition to squaring away the Radeon RX 6000 series RDNA 2 support and promoting the Arcturus support for the new GPU found within the AMD MI100 accelerator, this month AMD open-source Linux driver developers have been devoting a fair amount of work towards power optimizations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great to hear Still waiting for the Tuxedo Pulse 14's we ordered for our dev team - and looking forward to see how they perform against the new M1 MacBooks our PMs ordered

Comment

Any news on VGA support for GCN DC? Can't wait to see amdgpu being the default.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

For older cards like RX 580, are there any performance benefits of running the latest kernel compared to something like 5.4?
        After some distro hopping, I'm currently on Linux Mint 20 with kernel 5.4 and Mesa 20.2. Previously, I've tried numerous distributions with kernel 5.8, also with Mesa 20.2 and I would say I haven't noticed any performance difference between the two kernels when using the same Mesa version. I know there are some exceptions like kernel 5.4 itself which introduced LRU bulk moves that improved Vulkan performance, but other than that, I don't feel that regular kernel releases improve performance if hardware support is mature, like in the case of Polaris. I heard Polaris will receive some improvements like the fan stop feature with kernel 5.11, but there are no mentions of additional performance boosts.
        Maybe AMD devs have to say something about it?
        Last edited by user1; 21 November 2020, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Nice.

It would be really nice to have some precise tests of power usage by dGPU (measuring PCIe slot power and PCIe 6/8-pin cables), to see impact of these changes. I know devices to log this stuff is available and very accurate. I.e. Gamer Nexus reviews show this data.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Any news on VGA support for GCN DC? Can't wait to see amdgpu being the default.
            I am waiting for this too.

Comment

Which drivers will provide these features?

Comment

I haven't found "DCN", I found "GCN" [1], is this the same?

[1]
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphi...cs_Core_Next_1

Comment

It is RDNA 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RDNA_(...ecture)#RDNA_2

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    I haven't found "DCN", I found "GCN" [1], is this the same?

[1]
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphi...cs_Core_Next_1
                    No, they are not the same.
                    GCN (Graphics Core Next) is the name of the chip architecture, while DCN (Display Core Next) is the name of the display engine in the chips, which is the part that knows how to talk to displays (monitors, etc.).

Comment

Working...
                    X