No announcement yet.

Radeon RX 6800 Series Has Excellent ROCm-Based OpenCL Performance On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I see Radeon and OpelCL I can think only one thing. What's the performance in mining? DaggerHashimoto (Ethereum's algorithm)?

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
      When I see Radeon and OpelCL I can think only one thing. What's the performance in mining? DaggerHashimoto (Ethereum's algorithm)?
      Ethereum:

Radeon RX 6800 XT: 59 MH/s
      GeForce RTX 3080: 86 MH/s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoMRPUAywkk

Comment

Is there some kind of benchmark available for GIMP or Krita? Surely there are at least some people that use those and would benefit.

Comment

As much as I am glad to see these numbers. I think these numbers are not representative.

Michael Are these OpenCL to OpenCL comparison? If so, it is not fair.

As Nvidia's OpenCL performance is not up to the mark, and no one uses openCL with Nvidia. Everyone uses the CUDA backend. So, I will like to see a real-world benchmark. CUDA backend vs ROCm backend comparison, which will help me decide If I can rely on AMD now for my workloads.

Comment

Originally posted by winterstars
            Thanks bridgman
            Do you know if ROCr will work in WSL2.
            We're looking at it - it's not straightforward because Linux kernel drivers are not allowed AFAIK. We will probably end up having to port to Windows then patch Linux userspace over Windows kernel drivers.

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
            then for having opencl driver the 5000 amd wait a year, nice and to use this we need the closed driver? They already resolve the hangs in navi cards or Iwill need to wait another year?
            We did the OpenCL-over-ROCR work for 5000 and 6000 series in parallel, although in the last couple of weeks before launch we prioritized the 6000 issues since the 5000 series already had OpenCL support via the PAL paths.

AFAIK we managed to resolve nearly all of the 5000 series issues as well - I'm not sure if we are going to recommend cutting over to ROCR back end for Navi1x in the 20.45 release or wait until the subsequent release.
            Last edited by bridgman; 19 November 2020, 09:59 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

That's after updates - F33 installation media doesn't contain this kernel. Kinda hard to imagine, but it's my main OS right now. And Linux is known for often being unable to boot when your hardware is too fresh - no one likes to speak about it but it's been like that for ages. Meanwhile I can install Windows XP on my 2019 PC.

I had to install as part of my job both Linux and Windows, up to Windows 10 Enterprise, on a large variety of embedded computers.

The problems with the Windows installation are far more frequent and far more difficult to solve, than those with Linux.

With Linux, even if you have some non-supported hardware, it is easy to make a USB memory stick with a minimal kernel that will boot in text mode with absolutely any hardware and with various diagnostic tools, with which you will be able to identify the causes of any problems and then make a normal bootable image.

With Windows, if it works you are lucky, but if it does not work, then it is extremely difficult to find the cause.
              Even if you find the cause, sometimes you cannot find any workaround.

Even after you install Windows successfully, on slightly non-standard hardware, which is common in embedded computers, the performance may be unbelievably low after the default installation, and you might waste a lot of time with Windows tuning.

I have encountered a lot of such problems after installing Windows on models of computers that I had not used previously. Googling for the problem always gave thousands of results with Windows users who asked the same question like me, but no result with a useful answer.

Searching the Windows Knowledge Base provided only irrelevant advice. After wasting many hours or even days, I usually happened to find on some forum the desired answer, but the correct solution, instead of being to use some of the graphical menus for Windows settings, as I would have expected from an operating system which claims that its main advantage is the user-friendliness, always involved the invocation of some obscure Microsoft command-line application, with a long sequence of obfuscated parameters on the command line.

This scenario has repeated many times for different problems, so I can say for sure that Windows installation for modern Windows versions is frequently much more difficult than Linux installation. It is true however that I do not remember any such problems with old Windows versions, up to Windows XP, unless trying to install them on hardware that did not exist before many years after those old Windows versions were released.

Most Windows users are shielded of these problems, because Windows was preinstalled on their computers, so for them it can be right to say that Windows is user-friendly.

Nevertheless, when there is someone else to take care of installation and configuration, even Linux can be very user-friendly. Both my parents, almost 90-year old, have been using for many years Gentoo Linux on their computers, without any problems, while having no idea that they are using Linux or even what is "Linux".

Comment

Originally posted by nissen22 View Post
                Does this mean we can expect Pytorch and Tensorflow support for Rdna 2?
                This is literally the ONLY thing holding me back from picking up an RX6800XT right now!

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianBc View Post
                  I had to install ...
                  Why do people keep feeding the troll? If you ignore it, it will go seek attention some where else.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Fox View Post
                    Is there some kind of benchmark available for GIMP or Krita? Surely there are at least some people that use those and would benefit.
                    Gimp: Michael has your back on the CPU side. I don't remember reading about Gimp implementing openCL as they have been very busy with the move to v3. But some could have been implemented with out me noticing. I am not sure about Krita.

https://openbenchmarking.org/test/system/gegl

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      I will gladly replace Linux with Zircon if NVIDIA starts supporting it. Don't wanna deal with regressions, bugs and GPL madness each three months.
                      Does that mean you'll then stop coming here and trolling/pestering everyone? If so, I can't wait until Zircon is done.

Comment

Working...
                      X