We Have Been Testing The Radeon RX 6800 Series On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

They generally do for the past few generations where the Linux support has been in order.
    I'll be impressed when they send you a laptop/ryzen mobile device haha

Comment

I thought myself about shipping some bottles to him. I guess transport by plane is not recommended because of temperature and pressure deltas and high cost. Leaves transport by ship which is cheap but slow. On the other hand I don‘t know about tariffs on German beer and how to pay them in advance. Complex matter that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Actually these pads are back from XDC2012 Chicago or so when I organized it and Phoronix hosted a beer event at the conference.... I think I ordered like 2k or something was the minimum quantity and thus still going through the surplus.
        I like the beer even more. Where can you get them or which brewery is it so I can try to source it in Europe/Germany.

Nevermind Found it. Have to get some in the NL.
        Last edited by DRanged; 16 November 2020, 02:10 PM.

Comment

They should name it the Radeon MC 68000

Comment

It is a shame the AMD isn't lifting their embargo until after all the cards are sold out. What are they hiding? NVidia lifted their embargo a few days before so that real people, not bots, could decide if they would work for their needs. I was hoping to see some independent reviews before the launch as I was planning to get up early to see if I could land one, I have projects that need more horse power than I have currently. But this is a pretty big investment to spend on based on the word of the marketing dept and not knowing if it will work at all with the apps I need.

I appreciate you giving us as much as you could Michael.

Comment

Am I the only one deeply troubled at seeing that beer tilted on the coaster, open and full, directly in the direction of the cards?

It's the type of shot people take for fun, then go "ok, let me quickly remove this beer, hahaha", then proceed to knock the bottle 100% the way they imagined and were trying to avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                So check that out for now if trying to get your Linux system ready for a Radeon RX 68000 series upgrade in the coming days.
                Did AMD suddenly decide to adopt the Motorola 68000 architecture for the Radeon?

What's next? Copper?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I'd be very curious to see how it performs on an Intel system too, primarily because of SAM. I think the lack of SAM would have a greater impact on performance than PCIe 3.0.
                  An AMD developer told us here on Phoronix that it should work even on Intel mainboards if they do support the resizable BAR feature, my X99 board does - therefore I'd expect that it works there, too. I hope we will get to see some SAM on / SAM off testing on Intel mainboards to see if it has the same performance impact...
                  Last edited by ms178; 17 November 2020, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
                    They should name it the Radeon MC 68000
                    6800 as a fine 8 bit variant

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
                      I am hoping the situation is much better than the 5700XT release.
                      it's a safe bet

Comment

Working...
                      X