Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to enable fan-less mode on an RX580

Hello everybody,

If I remember correctly I saw a news on phoronix saying that the linux kernel now deals with fanless mode correctly, but I can't find the news, nor the way to activate that. I'm running Linux 5.9 stable at the moment, Mesa 20.3. If anybody can help me, that would be super cool.

You need drm-next (what will be 5.11):

Comment

Thank you, is that already packaged, maybe as a .deb, somewhere, or is it really too bleeding edge? I never compiled the kernel myself, I'm only using the one provided by canonical at https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ and the one in the "drm-next" folder are from 2018...

Comment

agd5f Linux 5.11 is now out, I'm running it. How can I activate zerorpm?

Comment

It's enabled by default if your board supports it.

Comment

It sounds fan-less feature is enabled for RX580 only? Could it be implemented on other cards, especially for APU?

Comment

Originally posted by zjunweihit View Post
              It sounds fan-less feature is enabled for RX580 only? Could it be implemented on other cards, especially for APU?
              ON APUs the fan is controlled by the embedded controller on the platform, not the GPU driver since the fan covers both the CPU and the GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                It's enabled by default if your board supports it.
                Can you please tell me how to check this? I have an Asus PRIME Z270-P:

Code:
                sudo lshw

description: Carte mère
                produit: PRIME Z270-P
                fabricant: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
                identifiant matériel: 0
                version: Rev X.0x
                numéro de série: 161189931300044
                emplacement: Default string
                *-firmware
                description: BIOS
                fabricant: American Megatrends Inc.
                identifiant matériel: 0
                version: 1205
                date: 05/11/2018
                taille: 64KiB
                capacité: 16MiB
                fonctionnalités: pci apm upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect socketedrom edd int13floppy1200 int13floppy720 int13floppy2880 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer acpi usb biosbootspecification uefi

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
                  Can you please tell me how to check this? I have an Asus PRIME Z270-P:
                  There is a flag in the vbios fan table (EnableZeroRPM) if the OEM enabled the feature.

Comment

Working...
                  X