Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux users of open source AMD drivers, are you happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux users of open source AMD drivers, are you happy?

I am thinking about replacing an aging video card in one of my Linux computers and I really like one of those small RX560 cards that do not require additional power other than PCIe. I have tried one a little over a year ago with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. The functionality of the open drivers was awesome, but power management - not so much.

Specifically, the fan control was completely manual. It would never turn off (as it did on Windows) and run at a constant speed. The temp was 31C and that never-ending z-z-zzzzzz... was driving me nuts. I followed a bunch of blog posts and random Github repos and had to fiddle with a bunch of scripts writing/reading into sysfs. So I ended up ripping the fan off and throwing it away (I am not a gamer) which probably contributed to the card dying 3 months later. It got replaced with an old nVidia card with a proprietary driver which behaves exactly like it should - the fans are always off, unless I try to play a 4K video or something...

How's it now? I am not interested in running custom daemons just to keep the fans off. Is there an RX card which behaves properly out of the box with a major Linux distro? Thanks.

I have a vega 56 (so 8+8pin).
    Fan have 2 mode auto and manual, the default auto keep the fan off and run when is necessary.
    With simple script (auto launched when begin graphic session) i lock the clock on pstate0 (the minimal) and its enough to web and watch movie.

My old hd 7950 have fan on, i have not tweaked on it.
    Last edited by kripteks; 10 November 2020, 09:22 PM.

Comment

I do believe there is zero rpm fan support for cards that have it - but I cannot vouch for it working (the reference vega64 doesn't have it AFAIK).
      I do run a CoreCtrl (https://gitlab.com/corectrl/corectrl) as a way to control it and it's been working out rather nicely for me.

One benefit you might find is being able to disable states, so it never clocks high and therefore never draws more power

Comment

Driver-wise (primarily with a RX 580 for some years and even now), I'm happy with the open-source drivers on Linux.

Hardware-wise, I'm not entirely happy. There's an issue with HDMI on Polaris GPUs that barely anyone wants to talk about involving 4K@60Hz instability (had it happen consistently on 5 different GPUs and others have reported it too), and I can't tell if it's ever been resolved on newer GPUs either. My same display and cables worked perfectly with a GTX 1060.

Comment

Got a RX 560 (Polaris). Bought 07/2017. I'm specifying because it was at the early stages of DC and amdgpu development. I went through all the hurdles of customized kernels, hangs and terrible handling from AV receiver video passthrough.
          It took 18 months for amdgpu to get there. But ever since I've been very happy and I don't miss the fglrx days.

My only annoyance is that I'm experiencing the dual cursor issue on 4K60 with Xorg when scaling to intermediate values of 125-150-175, but I believe it's a GDM/Mutter issue, given the workarounds. Otherwise it's crazy stable these days. I currently have a 100 days uptime while suspending/resuming more than once daily, going through the AV receiver to a TV (as monitor) and 5.1 speakers, so not the basic setup.

Comment

i have amdgpu issues with 5700xt. I get freezes and sometimes xorg coredumps.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorx69 View Post
              i have amdgpu issues with 5700xt. I get freezes and sometimes xorg coredumps.
              I just got same card. What system are you using? How you guys enable vsync on Radeon cards?

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post

I just got same card. What system are you using? How you guys enable vsync on Radeon cards?
                I have a powercolor liquid devil. Amd 3950x with 64g men. I run xfce and just having compositor on enables vsync for me

Comment

Working...
                X