Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon Graphics Updates For Linux 5.11 Bring New Hardware, Other Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    bridgman, since you seem to be paying attention to this thread I'll ask here.

Are you able to share the plan for AMD's linux drivers regarding ray tracing? If not, that's fine, just thought i would ask.
    • Will amdvlk provide support at launch, or will it likely be delayed?
      • presumably using the new khronos extension?
    • Will there be any support in OpenGL?
    Can't share much yet, sorry, other than "no plans for OpenGL as far as I know".
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Can't share much yet, sorry, other than "no plans for OpenGL as far as I know".
      Thanks.

Comment

bridgman, since you seem to be paying attention to this thread I'll ask here.

Are you able to share the plan for AMD's linux drivers regarding ray tracing? If not, that's fine, just thought i would ask.
        • Will amdvlk provide support at launch, or will it likely be delayed?
          • presumably using the new khronos extension?
        • Will there be any support in OpenGL?
        I have seen numerous YT videos quoting AMD as saying they will support RT day 1 via Vulkan and DX what ever the number is. But all the proprietary implementations are SOL. So if you took the Big Green money to use their proprietary implementation your game won't work on the game boxes or any one running a Red graphics card.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

I have seen numerous YT videos quoting AMD as saying they will support RT day 1 via Vulkan and DX what ever the number is. But all the proprietary implementations are SOL. So if you took the Big Green money to use their proprietary implementation your game won't work on the game boxes or any one running a Red graphics card.
          We know they'll support it in DX12 at launch. As for Vulkan, I think i've only seen that they intend to support it, rather than any specific date given. I'm guessing they might have it at launch, but they need to get Khronos to approve publishing the spec by then, which I don't know the chances of. And then getting it at the same time on Linux drivers again seems likely, but not guaranteed.

Comment

i just want my 5700xt stable... screensavers will crash it... ugh. When i built my updated pc, i chose amd so i could go oss drivers. I had nvidia gtx titan for years until it blew a capacitor and took out MB. I have fought this for months and running latest mesa and kernel and it will just randomly crash. looking on forums, the devs are blaming bad hardware but a bunch of people are having same issues. I dont want to have to buy another nvidia videocard just to play games and have stable system again. until that capacitor vlew, my manjaro pc would be up for weeks unless i rebooted on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              I'm reasonably sure that Sumo was the integrated GPU in Llano, Evergreen-based as you say.

Trinity/Richland had a Cayman-derived GPU, while Kaveri jumped ahead to CI and almost-full HSA support.

EDIT - found some confirmation:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/4444/...apu-a8-3500m/3
              Ahhh...yes. Thank you bridgman ! Kinda figured. Been a while.

In my search for Sumo I actually came across this site where i finally found the GPU for the Bristol Ridge APU, which for those who don't know already is the last of the HSA APU's and is the pinnacle of the Excavator series. The Bristol Ridge iGPU is codenamed, Wani. I know you and I had talked about this GPU a while ago and how it had some Volcanic Island features and some features brought over from the early Polaris chips like the upgraded Video Decode and Compression Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorx69 View Post
                i just want my 5700xt stable... screensavers will crash it... ugh. When i built my updated pc, i chose amd so i could go oss drivers. I had nvidia gtx titan for years until it blew a capacitor and took out MB. I have fought this for months and running latest mesa and kernel and it will just randomly crash. looking on forums, the devs are blaming bad hardware but a bunch of people are having same issues. I dont want to have to buy another nvidia videocard just to play games and have stable system again. until that capacitor vlew, my manjaro pc would be up for weeks unless i rebooted on purpose.
                Im understanding your feelings - But as an owner of a 5700Xt myself I (un)fortunately can't share the same experience.
                It is the opposite - I'm very often experimenting with different kernels different buildflags (march=native -O3 etc) and I'm always pulling the latest git mesa repo. Mesa is also build with "aggressive" buildflags. There was never any kind of issues since Kernel 5.3 and those buildflags usually make stuff less stable.

Don't get me wrong I believe you but are you sure that there is no hardware failure behind? The most recent Nvidia capacitor issues showed that such stuff can be some vendor specific thing. Not the chip/reference design/Driver. Besides is your PSU fine?
                Last edited by CochainComplex; 13 November 2020, 09:16 AM.

Comment

We know they'll support it in DX12 at launch. As for Vulkan, I think i've only seen that they intend to support it, rather than any specific date given. I'm guessing they might have it at launch, but they need to get Khronos to approve publishing the spec by then, which I don't know the chances of. And then getting it at the same time on Linux drivers again seems likely, but not guaranteed.
                  Once this extension are there, It will be interessting if this Extensions can be mapped to dx ray tracing without too much of a performance penalty (vkd3d-proton).

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Im understanding your feelings - But as an owner of a 5700Xt myself I (un)fortunately can't share the same experience.
                    It is the opposite - I'm very often experimenting with different kernels different buildflags (march=native -O3 etc) and I'm always pulling the latest git mesa repo. Mesa is also build with "aggressive" buildflags. There was never any kind of issues since Kernel 5.3 and those buildflags usually make stuff less stable.

Don't get me wrong I believe you but are you sure that there is no hardware failure behind? The most recent Nvidia capacitor issues showed that such stuff can be some vendor specific thing. Not the chip/reference design/Driver. Besides is your PSU fine?
                    Was worried about ps.. but it tested fine. Volts are spot on. I am not running mesa git.. maybe I should try that. I run Manjaro and mesa is usually only a couple of weeks behind. In windows.. not a single crash even over locked.

Comment

Working...
                    X