Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon Graphics Updates For Linux 5.11 Bring New Hardware, Other Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon Graphics Updates For Linux 5.11 Bring New Hardware, Other Enhancements

Phoronix: AMD Radeon Graphics Updates For Linux 5.11 Bring New Hardware, Other Enhancements

An initial round of predominantly AMDGPU kernel driver patches have been called upon for pulling into DRM-Next as new feature work for Linux 5.11...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not paying more than 400€ for a GPU, they better push this out soon or I swear I'll buy a nvidia card.

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post
      I'm not paying more than 400€ for a GPU, they better push this out soon or I swear I'll buy a nvidia card.
      At the risk of asking a dumb question, don't you have to wait for NVidia to announce their comparable cards as well ? My understanding was that both vendors had announced their high end next-gen product but that neither had announced anything below 3070 / 6800.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

At the risk of asking a dumb question, don't you have to wait for NVidia to announce their comparable cards as well ? My understanding was that both vendors had announced their high end next-gen product but that neither had announced anything below 3070 / 6800.
        I must admit I didn't bother checking out the latest nvidia cards, because I refused to consider such a purchase at least until I was able to compare the GPUs to reasonably priced RDNA2 card I was expecting to come out at this point. The lack of 400€ card with AMD kinda pissed me off. I was expecting nvidia to have the whole lineup out by now too.

We'll see. I'll start assembling components far a PC progressively, at the point when the GPU is the last part I need, I'll go with whoever provides me with a semi-expensive GPU first. I know they're both just trying to extract money from me but I'm not paid well enough to go for it. 400€ is the limit.

Comment

Both companies have cheaper cards coming but don't expect much supply until they have filled the long backlog for the expensive cards first. With how fast the 5000 series CPUs sold out I am expecting the AMD 6000 series cards to sell out as fast as NVidias 3000 series cards have. There is a real shortage of fab capacity currently both at TMSC and at Samsung.

Comment

Sumo APU ?? I thought I was pretty hip on most of the AMD APU's from desktop to embedded. But I don't remember a Sumo APU.

Now...there WAS an R500 Evergreen series integrated GPU back in the day that was codenamed Sumo. Was this integrated into one of the early APUs like Llano ?
            Last edited by Jumbotron; 06 November 2020, 10:46 PM.

Comment

I'm reasonably sure that Sumo was the integrated GPU in Llano, Evergreen-based as you say.

Trinity/Richland had a Cayman-derived GPU, while Kaveri jumped ahead to CI and almost-full HSA support.

EDIT - found some confirmation:

Last edited by bridgman; 06 November 2020, 11:23 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

bridgman, since you seem to be paying attention to this thread I'll ask here.

Are you able to share the plan for AMD's linux drivers regarding ray tracing? If not, that's fine, just thought i would ask.
                • Will amdvlk provide support at launch, or will it likely be delayed?
                  • presumably using the new khronos extension?
                • Will there be any support in OpenGL?

Comment

Originally posted by IreMinMon View Post
                  Oh yes, the famous 400€ cards from Nvidia...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I'm reasonably sure that Sumo was the integrated GPU in Llano, Evergreen-based as you say.

Trinity/Richland had a Cayman-derived GPU, while Kaveri jumped ahead to CI and almost-full HSA support.

EDIT - found some confirmation:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/4444/...apu-a8-3500m/3
                    Also for Bobcat/Ontario iGPUs like the Radeon HD6290, which is the reason I submitted that patch in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                    X