Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Adds Secure Video Playback To Their Open-Source Linux Driver

Phoronix: AMD Adds Secure Video Playback To Their Open-Source Linux Driver

In addition to Mesa 20.3 seeing RadeonSI support for EGL protected surfaces backed by the AMDGPU Linux kernel driver with Trusted Memory Zone support, AMD's graphics driver developers have now added support for secure/protected video acceleration playback to their Mesa driver code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Golly I hope this means I can pay $15 per 15 different streaming services, and watch Will Smith and Cuties on youtube red ! Isn't the IP system magical? It reminds me of that IP I enjoyed during my childhood that used to be owned by its creators. Oh what WON'T I pay over and over to see that again??

It's good they support these features though. I wonder who wants this, or if it really is just to flesh out feature support for consumer use.

Comment

Any idea when amd will have something similar to Intel's quick sync so I'm not stuck with intel on my next emby build

Comment

This is good news for those who want Linux to become a full drop in replacement for Windows. Though it would be nice if the world didn't have protected content that people wished to view, that's simply not the case. And anything that Windows can do that Linux can't is an impediment to more widespread adoption of our favorite OS.

Comment

Now you see why you want libre software not just open source?

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Will it be possible to take screenshots? If not, I am going to disable Secure Video Playback on my machine. In Windows, the screen area protected by DRM is blank in a screenshot.
            It won't be on with regular streams. It will be turned on for streaming services that support it (and thus give you >1080p res)

Comment

This doesn't help me secure my system to make video playback safe for me on my system.
              It protects the video content from me and prevents me from interacting with my system how I want.

So that I can't take screenshots, I can't share my screen on Skype/Teams, I can't live stream my screen to Twitch or YouTube, I can't capture the screen and video record. This is treacherous computing, I am the owner of my computer, and the superuser, but this takes away my access.

Is there no way to circumvent this?

Comment

I'll hopefully get a Van Gough laptop with AV1 decode when they come out - any sign of discreet mobile RDNA2 yet?

Comment

Secure! What about you just call it "restricted"? Can you be honest for once?

Comment

The streaming services don't care and are never going to care about Linux DRMed up the whazoo or not. Netflix just increased my rates again even though they only give us a fraction of the content the US gets and they haven't been producing any new content this year so I dropped the hammer on them.

Comment

Working...
                    X