AMD Adds Secure Video Playback To Their Open-Source Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by klokik View Post
    Will that stop anyone from capturing video output from, say eDP interface? Or the use of HDCP would be mandatory soon for all pannels? What about other video interfaces: DSI or even good old VGA? Netflix would complain that my display is not secure enough?

This thing is pointless: there would always a way to pirate video, making it harder has limits: at some point, it starts to bring more inconvenience to legit users than inconveniences to pirates, And I'm afraid that point has been passed long ago.
    The hole thing is pretty much pointless.. It only stops the average Joe from connecting a VCR or any of the shelf recording equipment and recording the video stream.
    Otherwise:
    - HDCP master keys leaked or were computed (no one knows for sure) (for older HDCP versions ~2010)
    - HDCP 2.0/2.1 had a flaw where it was possible to observe a key exchange repeat it and extract the Km key, thereby cracking the encryption
    - HDCP 2.2 is still unbroken from a key extraction standpoint, however there are devices available which talk HDCP 2.2 to the sender and send the same stream with HDCP 2.1 on another port (where you can use existing attacks).. Such devices are "allowed" a lawsuit against the manufacturer of such a device was dropped.

In the end it will always be possible to extract the videostream, as decryption happens in a chip in the monitor. You just have to capture the output of that chip.
    This is what some HDMI-Scalers/Splitters basically do.. They have a chip like in a monitor which decrypts the stream and they output it unencrypted on a output HDMI port.
    What is done against this: The keys of such devices are blacklisted, however this is a cat and mouse game, as you just have to use a chip from another devicetype with a different key.

So yeah 4k UHD HDR 12bit ripping with Dolby Atmos no Problem in Reality.. That´s why you can download UHD VOD Rips

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
      Except that does not prevent capture.
      Personally I don't much care whether the content encryption scheme prevents copying or not (much like I don't notice that AV1 uses less bandwidth than H264). I just need Netflix to play under Linux

In many ways as with Open Source software, I would prefer that people create and watch free content rather than pirate non-free content.

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
        Any idea when amd will have something similar to Intel's quick sync so I'm not stuck with intel on my next emby build
        Similar in what way? What is currently missing?

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
          Any idea when amd will have something similar to Intel's quick sync so I'm not stuck with intel on my next emby build
          any amd videocard supports something similar to intel's quick sync, what's your problem?

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
            Will it be possible to take screenshots? If not, I am going to disable Secure Video Playback on my machine
            if you will not pay for netflix you will not have to disable this feature, it will be unused anyway

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              As for copy protection i really see it as an evil that can't be avoided
              somehow all commercial audio is non-encrypted. and ironically it was apple who made it

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                The streaming services don't care and are never going to care about Linux DRMed up the whazoo or not. Netflix just increased my rates again even though they only give us a fraction of the content the US gets and they haven't been producing any new content this year so I dropped the hammer on them.
                I'm sure they're feeling the loss in revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  So in some ways Linux is pretty close but in other regards it is so far behind I'm not sure it will every catch up. A perfect example here is the use of C or C++ for applications development. That is just asinine.
                  apple has no better language for applications development than c++. if you are posting this from apple browser, it's written in c++

Comment

Originally posted by dev_null View Post
                    a really bad feature in linux world. the level is the same as having binary firmware blobs.
                    binary firmware is strictly better than closed-source hardware with no firmware. you must be living in some imaginary world

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Blokdijk View Post
                      I wonder how effective it will be to prevent people from ripping a stream.
                      open source software can't prevent people from doing anything. it can just be ignored

Comment

Working...
                      X