AMD Adds Secure Video Playback To Their Open-Source Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post

Will it be possible to take screenshots? If not, I am going to disable Secure Video Playback on my machine. In Windows, the screen area protected by DRM is blank in a screenshot.
    Originally posted by GreenByte View Post

It won't be on with regular streams. It will be turned on for streaming services that support it (and thus give you >1080p res)
    Yes, I meant to ask whether it will be possible to take screenshots containing 1080p video (for recording history over the years of my life).

HBO Go supports 1080p playback even without DRM (from my location), while Netflix and others support only 720p without DRM.

A major issue isn't the 720p resolution itself, but the very low video bitrate associated with 720p, i.e. it isn't uncommon for the 1080p bitrate to be 10-times larger than the 720p bitrate when playing the same movie. 1920*1080/1280/720 = 2.25.

Comment

The streaming services don't care and are never going to care about Linux DRMed up the whazoo or not. Netflix just increased my rates again even though they only give us a fraction of the content the US gets and they haven't been producing any new content this year so I dropped the hammer on them.

Comment

Is there any streaming service which could take advantage of that?
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Secure! What about you just call it "restricted"? Can you be honest for once?
          The name depends on the point of view. It is "secure" for the content providers, but "restricted" for the users.

I wonder if the infrastructure could be used to draw "secured" content, which may not be screen-grabbed., i.e. to show secret plans (loaded to GPU, decrypted and drawn there)

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post

Yes, I meant to ask whether it will be possible to take screenshots containing 1080p video (for recording history over the years of my life).

HBO Go supports 1080p playback even without DRM (from my location), while Netflix and others support only 720p without DRM.

A major issue isn't the 720p resolution itself, but the very low video bitrate associated with 720p, i.e. it isn't uncommon for the 1080p bitrate to be 10-times larger than the 720p bitrate when playing the same movie. 1920*1080/1280/720 = 2.25.
            The major issue is 2.0 audio. Even with 4K (or even better HDR), if you only have 2.0, it's still absolute crap to watch.

720p + Atmos > 1080p + 5.1 > 4K + 2.0

If we could just have Netflix on 1080p + 5.1 in Linux, it would already be a huge progress from current 720p + 2.0 (1080p with some add-on).
            HDR + Atmos is the ultimate dream of course.

Comment

Good news no - this is fantastic news.

As for copy protection i really see it as an evil that can't be avoided. Theft is so common these days that people don't even see it as unacceptable. That being said I'd prefer to see changes to the copy right laws that put a time limit on copy protection along with reasonable time periods of protection.

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
              This is good news for those who want Linux to become a full drop in replacement for Windows. Though it would be nice if the world didn't have protected content that people wished to view, that's simply not the case. And anything that Windows can do that Linux can't is an impediment to more widespread adoption of our favorite OS.
              No operating system is perfect but what is obvious to me is that Linux has fewer glaring issues compared to Windows. What the Linux community should be targeting with respect to code quality and features is Mac OS. Mac OS is the real benchmark when it comes to usability and good design. Windows is nothing more than a minimal corporate OS, with just enough capability to get the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                Good news no - this is fantastic news.
                No operating system is perfect but what is obvious to me is that Linux has fewer glaring issues compared to Windows. What the Linux community should be targeting with respect to code quality and features is Mac OS. Mac OS is the real benchmark when it comes to usability and good design. Windows is nothing more than a minimal corporate OS, with just enough capability to get the job done.
                I always disliked Macs because of the outrageous prices, exacerbated by their closed eco system. I observed Steve Jobs both before he was fired, and after. Before he was fired he really seemed to want to help the world, but unfortunately after he was fired and rehired he became a greedy monster that cared only for himself. And since then I felt he wasn't so much a marketing genius as he was an unscrupulous shyster.

And I'm not trying to start a flame war here with Mac enthusiasts, that's just the way I genuinely feel. I don't like greed and dishonesty, personally or in business. I prefer those who strive to procure a reasonable profit, with honesty and goodwill. If Mr. Jobs had done that he would have won many more people over.

Comment

It'd be interesting to see this used for something more pro-consumer than DRM.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                    And I'm not trying to start a flame war here with Mac enthusiasts,
                    Really? The reality is though that if it wasn't for iOS, we'd still be trying to reverse engineer ActiveX and Flash plugins to surf the web.

Comment

So this means an open source driver contained in the Kernel is monitoring our identity (or a fingerprint related to it) for DRM purposes?

Comment

Working...
                      X