No announcement yet.

Linux Support Expectations For The AMD Radeon RX 6000 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RDNA 2 is said to offer +50% performance-per-Watt over RDNA(1).
    I'm still on a GeForce GTX750 and I always spec my CPU to 65W TDP or less because I have no air conditioning. This is the main detail I care about aside from whether the drivers will match nVidia's for stability when a desktop session is left open for months on end.

Comment

Can't wait for the fps on the Linux drivers for the top 2 AMD graphics cards. Guess I will have to wait until December 6th for AMD's highest tier card to launch though.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco-GG View Post

To be fair, it's a feature that is only available in some games on Windows. The same can be said for RTX as the number of games that can use it on Linux is almost nil.

In the end, it's all about the raw performance what you want to see on Linux.
        It's pretty doubtful we will ever see DLSS in any games on linux. The ngx library for it exists in recent nvidia drivers, but i really doubt it will ever be hooked up to wine. Maybe a hack like the way some nvapi stuff has been experimented with might happen but I wouldn't bet on it.

What is likely is that gamescope gets some smarter shaders in its upscaling capabilities that make upscaling look nicer than the default.

Comment

i'm more curious about power drain. so far amd still suffer from that. and its still weaker than nvida at performance (at higher power consumption)

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
            i'm more curious about power drain. so far amd still suffer from that. and its still weaker than nvida at performance (at higher power consumption)
            Their latest mobile chips are extremely good about power management.
            After reading about the power usage of the Nvidia 3080 and 3090 cards, I would say that AMD can do almost anything and come in as more power efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco-GG View Post

To be fair, it's a feature that is only available in some games on Windows. The same can be said for RTX as the number of games that can use it on Linux is almost nil.

In the end, it's all about the raw performance what you want to see on Linux.
              If that raw performance translates to Linux. AMD drivers are always big question mark. Also keep in mind AMD in benchmarks used some "smart memory" "rage mode" which probably aren't raw performance.

Comment

Very excited to upgrade my old GTX 770 to one of these RX 6000 series video cards. I dont expect to get (or afford) one until April 2021 but it should play nicely with Ubuntu 21.04

Comment

at least on paper amd delivered faster, less power hungry and cheaper cards than novideo

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
                    RX6900XT performance looks fine, but for 1000$ card i would expect to play with raytracing or 8K DLSS which AMD doesn't show, so here I think 3090 might be better choice.
                    as usual nvidiots live in some alternative universe where 3090 is $1000 card rather than $1500 card

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                      That's nice but where are the mobile Zen 3 with RDNA 2 chips & DDR5 ?
                      in 2022?

Comment

Working...
                      X