No announcement yet.

ATI dropping support for <R600 - wtf!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmm. I hadn't heard anything like that.

Is this NTSC or PAL, and does TVout work properly on the same system with fglrx ?
    Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Hmm. I hadn't heard anything like that.

Is this NTSC or PAL, and does TVout work properly on the same system with fglrx ?
      NTSC, and although not perfect, yes fglrx does give a better experience (far fewer lock ups and the halo effect is gone). Best results are when the system is used in windows. Best results in linux involved disabling the built in video and popping in a nvidia 7200 GS card and the nv blobs which even exceeds the win/ATI combo.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Agreed, but that's why we're focusing *more* resources on fglrx support for newer GPUs in parallel with finishing the open source support for 6xx/7xx. This is about shifting resources, not cutting them.
        Yes, but the point is that ATi has never fully supported any card released.

Why should I not believe that in three years ATi will also drop driver support for R600, R700, and R800 to focus more resources on R900 without ever fully supporting the former?

Comment

• Originally posted by mattst88 View Post

Why should I not believe that in three years ATi will also drop driver support for R600, R700, and R800 to focus more resources on R900 without ever fully supporting the former?
          um. I'm not even sure where to start with how wrong this idea is. Apparently I haven't gotten the message across.

Stop the generic F.U.D.

Stop the wholesale "fully supported" F.U.D.

Start listing exactly what is wrong.

Start listing what distribution you are using.

Start listing what kernel version you are using.

Start listing what X.org version you are using.

Start listing the exact link to the ATi bugzilla where you filed a bug report on the problem.

Start listing the steps you took to duplicate the problem.

Start detailing how you, personally, got involved to solve the problem.

Otherwise your arguments are hollow. There is no reason to believe you. There is no evidence to support what you say. I'm to the point that I am going to personally start picking people out and ripping their posts to shred.

The F.U.D. stops here. It stops now. Either get involved with the driver development, or get lost.

And from your post, you need to get lost.

Comment

• Originally posted by Saist View Post
            See now that is going a bit too far. It's OK to be an advocate of something. I openly advocate open source, but to say that your going to rip peoples posts to shreds is a little schizo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium
              FUD :-) Drop R300 and R500 is a good starting point to make a good driver for HD2000,HD3000,HD4000.

the biggest FUD is thats the 9-4 has no R300 and R500 part in it!

fglrx -8.60 (9-4 alpfa) has R300 and R500 Parts!

but yes up to the cat 9-6 its deaktivatet!

but i think the R300 parts is Hackable .---

so you can hack the 9-4 for a R300 but its Pointless.

becourse 9-6 has R300 parts aktivatet!
              So was it just you or your whole family that took the short bus?

Comment

• Hi,

My RADEON 9600 XT/TVD has no tuner, but it does have view/capture capabilities through the provided s-video/composite video connectors.

In the past I was able to view video from a hooked-up video or camcorder device in linux using xawtv with the xvport parameter.

The current open source driver does not seem to support this anymore although I see entries in the xorg.log like below:

(II) RADEON(0): Cannot access BIOS or it is not valid.
                If your card is TV-in capable you will need to specify options RageTheatreCrystal, RageTheatreTunerPort,
                RageTheatreSVideoPort and TunerType in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
                (!!) RADEON(0): For information on using the multimedia capabilities
                of this adapter, please see http://gatos.sf.net.

Can I enable the xvport options again by setting one of these parameters?

Is there some documentation available about these parameters?

regards,

E.
                Last edited by Mr_Ed; 08 March 2009, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  See now that is going a bit too far. It's OK to be an advocate of something. I openly advocate open source, but to say that your going to rip peoples posts to shreds is a little schizo.
                  No...I think that's actually a fairly natural reaction to people behaving like thoughtless malcontent mouthpieces across multiple threads. Regardless of whether you consider yourself part of our little "open source community," if you're using it, you're in. In this community, it tends to be the case that if you are not part of the solution, you give up your right to seriously complain.

Geek technocracy? Yeah, we founded it. Never going to take off and get mainstream? Many of us hoped it wouldn't. Insular? You betcha. Obstinate? Oooh baby.

But, that's pretty much how it is. Is it really so surprising that when someone tries to beat the "system" we tell them to beat feet, be patient, or make themselves useful?

Comment

• Originally posted by mattst88 View Post

As far as I know, they will continue their efforts they put in the open source driver dev.

And I don't know if you tried that one already, but I did and I must say that it has made great improvements.

The open source driver already delivers EXA instead of XAA.
                    Although it is still slower then the fglrx, it is able to deliver tearing free xvideo in a composited desktop environment.

Lets hope that this progress will continue in the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
                      No...I think that's actually a fairly natural reaction to people behaving like thoughtless malcontent mouthpieces across multiple threads.
                      Indeed. I personally don't have any problem with people disagreeing as much as they want as long as their arguments are remotely based on something else than pure ignorance. But lately these guys have managed to convert Phoronix in the bastard child of the Ubuntu forums.

Comment

Working...
                      X