No announcement yet.

AMDGPU Linux Driver To Finally Enable BACO For Hawaii - Allowing S4/Hibernation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Linux Driver To Finally Enable BACO For Hawaii - Allowing S4/Hibernation

Phoronix: AMDGPU Linux Driver To Finally Enable BACO For Hawaii - Allowing S4/Hibernation

The Radeon R9 290 "Hawaii" series are about seven years old almost to the day and the AMD Linux open-source driver crew is seemingly celebrating by finally adding the few lines of code needed to enable BACO power management...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As a owner of a "old", "ancient" hardware of the GCN 1.0/1.1 era, this kind of attention from developers brings me joy.
    I don't have financial means to upgrade to new hardware for now. Priorities.
    But when I do, I'll go for best price/performance/support (like not having to deal with drivers or fearing updates) for sure.

Comment

Plase add vga support so we can get rid of radeon
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

For clarify, BACO is not required for hibernation. The BACO fix is actually not related to the hibernation fix. Hibernation has worked with radeon for years. The actual fix was a smu disabling sequence fix in amdgpu.

Comment

For me BACO also seems to be a peculiar thing on my RX 590. Seems to work on my RX 560, but the RX 590 is a pain. It wakes up and freezes, doesn't re-init the monitor/display (EDID problems?) or falls to some 800x600 mode and the likes. All my other chips work nicely. But good to see there is still work done.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            For clarify, BACO is not required for hibernation. The BACO fix is actually not related to the hibernation fix. Hibernation has worked with radeon for years. The actual fix was a smu disabling sequence fix in amdgpu.
            Sorry, I don't follow. What does the BACO changes then result in, and the fix you mentioned, does that fix hibernation or BACO?
            You said "Radeon" but Michael mentions AMDGPU.

Comment

I've still got a R9-290X watercooled and she's running basically all the newest linux friendly games! Playing Total Warhammer 2 Mortal Empires with it on High!

She's a 7 year old beast and I've noticed that thanks to Vulcan and the ever growing list of improvements on mesa, the FPS keep going up annually!

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

Sorry, I don't follow. What does the BACO changes then result in, and the fix you mentioned, does that fix hibernation or BACO?
                You said "Radeon" but Michael mentions AMDGPU.
                My point was that radeon does not support BACO, but it does support hibernation. The fix for hibernation was a fix to the SMU shutdown sequence. While investigating that a BACO issue was found and fixed. In theory BACO could be enabled for run time power management, but the BACO fix has nothing to do with hibernation.

Comment

Correction: Hibernation was working fine before, except for a bug where DPM wasn't enabled after resuming from hibernation. I'd submitted a patch to fix that, which got included in 5.9 and 5.8-stable, but apparently it caused suspend issues for others.

Evan Quan (of AMD) submitted this new patch set that fixes the disabled DPM after hibernation issue, but without breaking suspend.

Comment

Originally posted by DanglingPointer View Post
                    I've still got a R9-290X watercooled and she's running basically all the newest linux friendly games! Playing Total Warhammer 2 Mortal Empires with it on High!

She's a 7 year old beast and I've noticed that thanks to Vulcan and the ever growing list of improvements on mesa, the FPS keep going up annually!
                    Yeah, I've found that a bunch of newer games using Direct3D 12 and Vulkan run with decent framerates at high quality. Coupled with a VRR monitor, you can still play games reasonably well.
                    ​well.

Of course, super demanding things like AC Origins and AC Odyssey are a janky experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X