Open-Source RADV Vulkan Driver Is Seeing Work To Allow Building It On Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    No plans to enable SR-IOV on consumer cards to my knowledge.
    Can't wait for Intel cards to be released then.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by N0dens View Post
      Not even with the Radeon Pro cards ?
      I think the name indicates those are considered "professional" rather than "consumer".

Comment

Originally posted by anth View Post

I think the name indicates those are considered "professional" rather than "consumer".
        There is room for "Prosumer" cards such as the Radeon Pro 5600M which was made available this year for the MacBook Pro. They are a bit more expensive than regular consumer cards but still reasonably priced.
        The problem I see is that AMD chose to leave a gap in their offering. Other than the firepro S (2016?) and the Instinct MI50/MI60 (2018) there is nothing available to support SR-IOV. These cards are very expensive and only available as part of servers. They are clearly not designed and marketed for the end users.
        AMD doesn't realize that a technology needs to be available and have visibility first before enterprises will start investing in it.
        We need some real competition in this market and it is sad that Intel is the only one listening to consumers.

BTW There is a petition asking for that technology to be made available here: http://chng.it/L4d6gRrC

Comment

It sounds like Intel is the one one who want to allow end users to use virtualization outside of a data center
          you mean that intel which randomly restricts features on cpu models?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            you mean that intel which randomly restricts features on cpu models?
            We should be used to it ... they all get lazy once they are in a position of strength. The only time they listen to the customers is when they really need to take some market share.
            There is no hope for Nvidia. At least AMD and Intel (sometime) try to be open source friendly. They also both need to gain some ground in the GPU market. AMD in particular needs to reach a critical mass in the enterprise and virtualization segment. I am disappointed because I thought AMD would at least try.
            As I said, we really need more competition.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
              AMD should have a budget for grants to people doing interesting things with their products
              I like this idea. bridgman do you think it is possible, or are there any schemes kinda like this currently happening that we are not aware of?

Having a formal program (and it being promoted) would certainly be an interesting embracing of the open source community. I get the feeling there are already some efforts, just nothing really being promoted

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

I like this idea. bridgman do you think it is possible, or are there any schemes kinda like this currently happening that we are not aware of?

Having a formal program (and it being promoted) would certainly be an interesting embracing of the open source community. I get the feeling there are already some efforts, just nothing really being promoted
                We participate in GSoC and EVoC via Xorg and also help fund the Xorg developer conferences. We've also provided hardware to developers that have a track record of contributions.

Comment

Isn't AMD expected to enable sr-iov soon on consumer cards? We all know the chips are capable of doing it but in spite of many requests AMD has until now reserved these features for the Enterprise segment. Intel is already moving in that direction with Iris Xe. I know a lot of people (including me) are hoping an announcement from AMD with the release of their new architecture. If this happen then there would be no reason to make RADV run on Windows to enable virtualization. There might be other reasons to do it ... just not this one.
                  I think there are some misconceptions about SR-IOV. It's not like the card just magically shows up as multiple GPUs. It was designed around datacenters. First of all the display hardware is not virtualized so you can't use the display hardware when SR-IOV is enabled. Only the graphics and video (encode/decode) engines are virtualized. The hardware would need significant redesign to work the way most consumers would like it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

We participate in GSoC and EVoC via Xorg and also help fund the Xorg developer conferences. We've also provided hardware to developers that have a track record of contributions.
                    I knew I was forgetting something <3

Comment

Working...
                    X