Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Delivers Many Fixes For Polaris GPUs On Linux - Finally Enables ZeroRPM Fan Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    I just looked at, that Amazon list is updated by the hour, so it represents today's trends.

I wished my cards lasted as long as yours, because no matter what I do (energy wise), hardly they work more than 3 to 4 years. I also had a R9 290 (a 6950 before that). Then I jumped into a RX470 (sold to a friend, still works), them a RX570 (ITX, died months ago). So I was more or less in the same level of performance since 2013.

Today, with the GPU high prices in my neck of the woods, and now my unwillingness in buying another $400 class card, I drew the line on cheap, PCI-E only powered cards. Since I could not stay on a mere A8 7600 APU for long, I took a RX 550 until AMD release another low powered, compact card and it became available here for a reasonable price, hopefully as soon as the beginning of the next year.
    Interesting. Well, the 580 is a good deal and despite the pandemic, gaming is getting more popular, so I guess it isn't too surprising that the 580 is getting more popular.

That's weird you're getting parts that fail so easily... The only GPU I ever had that died on me was an Nvidia 7900 GTO, due to water damage. And even then, it still worked, as long as you didn't use up all of it's very-limited 256MB of VRAM. What temperatures are you typically getting on your GPUs? My 290 practically never exceeds 65C, though it is slightly undervolted.

I've always been wary of gaming GPUs powered over PCIe. There really isn't much power they're able to feed from, especially if you have any other 12v devices attached to the motherboard. I say "gaming GPUs" because office GPUs don't demand as much power, or at least not extensively.
    I'm not aware of any situation where powering a GPU over PCIe has proven to be problematic, I'm just saying that if you care about longevity, that kind of setup is putting a lot of stress on the 24-pin ATX connector and the motherboard traces.

Comment

Despite the praised AMD drivers on Linux, I did have multiple problems with my RX 590. Any app going fullscreen appears to cause a crash after a few seconds, and my system freezes reliably after a few seconds of high load on the H265 hw encoder.

Great that they are still working on it though. Hope they fixed these.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Interesting. Well, the 580 is a good deal and despite the pandemic, gaming is getting more popular, so I guess it isn't too surprising that the 580 is getting more popular.

That's weird you're getting parts that fail so easily... The only GPU I ever had that died on me was an Nvidia 7900 GTO, due to water damage. And even then, it still worked, as long as you didn't use up all of it's very-limited 256MB of VRAM. What temperatures are you typically getting on your GPUs? My 290 practically never exceeds 65C, though it is slightly undervolted.

I've always been wary of gaming GPUs powered over PCIe. There really isn't much power they're able to feed from, especially if you have any other 12v devices attached to the motherboard. I say "gaming GPUs" because office GPUs don't demand as much power, or at least not extensively.
        I'm not aware of any situation where powering a GPU over PCIe has proven to be problematic, I'm just saying that if you care about longevity, that kind of setup is putting a lot of stress on the 24-pin ATX connector and the motherboard traces.

Over the years I got to buy better PSUs and UPSs, to provide the best power source I can. As I said in another comment that got eaten by the forum filter, the building I live have old wiring and is in a place with lots of dust coming from outside, nothing I can do about it really. Also here is moderately hot, most of the year floating around 30°C/86F. I monitor temps constantly here, and the cards generally reach the seventies (C). My cases always have good ventilation.

As I said in the other comment, I suspect is a combination of dust, hot, me manipulating the hardware inside the chassis from time to time for cleaning or getting bored with the case and changin it...

Now I don't play AAA games anymore (at last launched recently), since is a endless parade of open worlds and infinite quests, or some random FPS with shiny graphics. Now I tend to prefer the innovation, riskier concepts of indie games. Plus AAA on Linux kinda died. So my needs for a beefy GPU disappeared. I considered going full APU, given my experience riding a old A8 7600, but reviews of the OEM only launched Renoir (that most big reviewers are surprisingly afraid to buy/touch), made me draw the line on discreet cards without external power, enough to play indie games. Depending on my impatience, I may consider a sub-$200 RDNA 2 with external power, but whatever happens, I will definitely ride the budget side of the PC Master Race®, for the immediate future.

Comment

Because it's there. . .

It's funny, my niece's boyfriend is crying his eyes out because she hasn't bought him an RTX 3090 and he's sure that when Cyberpunk 2077 comes out his measly RTX 2080 Super won't play it at all.

Then there's us nerds like me who bought a "Powercolor RX570" on the tail end of the cyber currency mining craze because it was impossibly cheap ($140 US), at the time, and being a little older it was completely stable compared to the relatively new Vega stuff coming out of AMD.

Since then performance improves, power usage improves and we haven't had to spend a thing. There really aren't too many things/games that my Raven Ridge 2400g won't run but when I need the horsepower I pop in that cheap old card and it's all good.

I guess AMD does this "because it's there" and not all of us are like my niece's boyfriend.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            I wished my cards lasted as long as yours, because no matter what I do (energy wise), hardly they work more than 3 to 4 years. I also had a R9 290 (a 6950 before that). Then I jumped into a RX470 (sold to a friend, still works), them a RX570 (ITX, died months ago). So I was more or less in the same level of performance since 2013.
            I used to have problems with that with my desktop. I started using a good UPS long ago and I never had a problem again. It got to where I was retiring computers because I simply could no longer upgrade them - not because the hardware would not work. I had a home server with dual Athlon 1300s on an Asus motherboard using a 4 AGP AMD graphics card that I finally had to retire because I could no longer add hard drives to it. It lasted me for 10 years with no issues running 24/7.
            GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Linus must have ranted about problems with his 580. I guess if you want it to work well, you should just switch to the same GPU that Linus uses.

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

polaris will be around for years to come. someone getting a cheap machine together could quite easily get a polaris GPU and have a fantastic experience under Linux!
                You also forget that Linus Torvalds is using a Polaris GPU in his machine, until he moves on to another GPU Polaris support is guaranteed to be alive and well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
                  I'm guessing that probably won't work well on my card. I still have an RX 480 that must have some problem. On its default fan settings, games have horrible stuttering unless I manually crank the fan up to 100% so it sounds like a leaf blower. Initially I thought the stuttering was some Linux gaming bug until I realized the problem was in Windows also, and then I discovered the fan issue. It's probably time for me to upgrade the card. But given that there aren't really any new games that interest me these days, I just haven't wanted to.

ZeroRPM sounds like a great idea though. Any graphics chip that requires a spinning fan for just regular desktop apps and video playing is clearly designed poorly.
                  You could try metal TIM and undervolting, they reall help. Also AIO will make a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
                    Because it's there. . .

It's funny, my niece's boyfriend is crying his eyes out because she hasn't bought him an RTX 3090 and he's sure that when Cyberpunk 2077 comes out his measly RTX 2080 Super won't play it at all.
                    Cool story bro. Too bad it's fake. No way an RTX 2080 Super owner has a girlfriend.

Seriously though, the mining crash was at least good for budget gamers. I picked up a used Vega56 for lest than $200 pre-pandemic. Then with a re-paste, washer mod, and an undervolt, it's been cool, quiet, and a huge upgrade over my old GTX960.

Comment

Oh yes, my RX580 keeps delivering! Bought second-hand for less that 200€ in summer 2018 (thank you, bankrupt miners!) has been shining in my gaming rig since then. Runs very stable and smooth, and now it'll even have ZeroRPM, which is pretty much the only missing feature left...

Comment

Working...
                      X