Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Delivers Many Fixes For Polaris GPUs On Linux - Finally Enables ZeroRPM Fan Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxie View Post

polaris will be around for years to come. someone getting a cheap machine together could quite easily get a polaris GPU and have a fantastic experience under Linux!
    I second that!

I am planning to keep my Rx480 8G Nitro+ for at least another year, just moving it into a new Ryzen 5000 .... looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinness View Post

I second that!

I am planning to keep my Rx480 8G Nitro+ for at least another year, just moving it into a new Ryzen 5000 .... looking forward to it!
      Nothing wrong with keeping hardware out of landfills especially if it still suits your needs well!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Not that I'm disagreeing with the points you made in this thread, but, the 580 was super popular among crypto miners. So the reality is a bit skewed.
        Seems to me the GTX 1060 and 1660 (and their Ti/Super variants) were otherwise the most popular among gamers. Regardless, the 1060 isn't exactly new either.

As long as people are still on 1080p@60Hz (which most people are) then there's not much of an incentive to ever upgrade. Even though the RTX 3000 series seems to be the first step toward making 4K affordable, it's still prohibitively expensive for many.

I myself am still using an R9 290, though, depending how the 6000 series performs and costs, that might be when I finally upgrade.
        I just looked at, that Amazon list is updated by the hour, so it represents today's trends.

I wished my cards lasted as long as yours, because no matter what I do (energy wise), hardly they work more than 3 to 4 years. I also had a R9 290 (a 6950 before that). Then I jumped into a RX470 (sold to a friend, still works), them a RX570 (ITX, died months ago). So I was more or less in the same level of performance since 2013.

Today, with the GPU high prices in my neck of the woods, and now my unwillingness in buying another $400 class card, I drew the line on cheap, PCI-E only powered cards. Since I could not stay on a mere A8 7600 APU for long, I took a RX 550 until AMD release another low powered, compact card and it became available here for a reasonable price, hopefully as soon as the beginning of the next year.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          I wasn't familiar with that "best sellers" page before, thanks for sharing. Pretty telling on the CPU side. I knew Ryzen was selling really well, but to own the top 8 positions on the CPU sales chart, with intel's best seller way down at #9 is pretty amazing. It's a massacre really.
          Keep in mind that it is updated by the hour, so things can change really fast. But yeah, Intel definitely is hurting on the DIY market. Other retailers around the world also report similar things.

Cannot imagine how busy sales people on Intel are with laptop OEMs, trying desperately to stop a AMD dominance there too, pulling out old dirty tactics.

Recently, Lenovo sent a AMD model to reviewers on YT, only to announce in the last minute they will not sell it anymore, despite the overwhelmingly positive reviews. A Intel model will take its place...

The AMD Ryzen 7 4800U is one of the best laptop CPUs you can buy right now and the Lenovo Ideapad Slim 7 and Yoga Slim 7 were supposed to be two of the first...

Comment

FWIW, according to the Steam Survery in July about 35% of Linux AMD games have a RX480 (or 580, I think the reporting isn't perfect): https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/-/snippets/1128

So it definitely seems there are still a bunch of cards in use that could benefit from this.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I just looked at, that Amazon list is updated by the hour, so it represents today's trends.

I wished my cards lasted as long as yours, because no matter what I do (energy wise), hardly they work more than 3 to 4 years. I also had a R9 290 (a 6950 be
              Maybe it's related to crappy PSU?

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post

Maybe it's related to crappy PSU?
                Nope. In the last 10 years I buy only PSU's with good reviews from Corsair or Seasonic, plus I have a nice UPS and it its nicely grounded.

It must be the old wiring in the building I live, plus unhealthy amounts of dust (both I cannot do a thing about it), together with periodic hand manipulation of the card and other hardware inside the case.

I also have a problem staying with the same case looking at me for too long, so I change it from time to time.

Comment

They also fixed the Poweplay issue with blank screen?

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    I wasn't familiar with that "best sellers" page before, thanks for sharing. Pretty telling on the CPU side. I knew Ryzen was selling really well, but to own the top 8 positions on the CPU sales chart, with intel's best seller way down at #9 is pretty amazing. It's a massacre really.
                    And that's why I own AMD shares... Hopefully it will really show in their results in the coming years.

Comment

I'm not so much a fan of ZeroRPM, I prefer a very quiet spinning fan to one that's spinning up and down from nothing.

Comment

Working...
                      X