Doom 3: possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doom 3: possible?

I'm running the latest ati open source driver directly from the git server. Mesa 7.3 and libdrm 2.4.5 are there. DRI and opengl acceleration are working pretty good. But...doom 3 starts correctly but the combat scene is almost black. I can see my weapon, some lights and sound is pretty good but something is still missing. Are we still far or some parameter is missing from my xorg.conf? (which is pretty basic)
    Thanks

I've played doom3 with the ARB render path on an x850, nearly all the way through. In ~/.doom3/base/DoomConfig.cfg make sure you have r_renderer set to "arb".

Comment

Originally posted by adamk View Post
      I've played doom3 with the ARB render path on an x850, nearly all the way through. In ~/.doom3/base/DoomConfig.cfg make sure you have r_renderer set to "arb".
      Now it works thank you. Do you know if there are some optimization to make the game work smoothier? I have an ati mobility x1600 and using the proprietary drivers things are better (no suprises).

Comment

I'm not aware of any real optimizations. For doom3 to really perform well, you need support for decompressing s3tc textures ( http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheideg...3tc_index.html ). Unfortunately that library has severe issues with multitexturing on the r300 mesa drivers, leading to flickering and flashing textures.

In addition, I understand that a memory manager will really help to accelerate certain features needed for the arb2 render path.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by piccolotux View Post
          Now it works thank you. Do you know if there are some optimization to make the game work smoothier? I have an ati mobility x1600 and using the proprietary drivers things are better (no suprises).
          You could try the new radeon-rewrite branch:

Comment

The r500 driver still is not performance optimized, but that's being worked on now. In the next year, the speed ought to improve dramatically with updates.

Comment

Thanks for all your answers.

You could try the new radeon-rewrite branch:
              http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...radeon-rewrite
              Thanks for this suggestion too. But I guess I have to compile mesa from git. Am I wrong?

Comment

I think you would probably want to compile the whole driver stack from git. AFAIK the radeon-rewrite branch includes support for the current drm and X drivers but most of the focus is on getting Mesa ready to work with KMS, GEM and DRI2 -- the holy grail
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  I think you would probably want to compile the whole driver stack from git. AFAIK the radeon-rewrite branch includes support for the current drm and X drivers but most of the focus is on getting Mesa ready to work with KMS, GEM and DRI2 -- the holy grail
                  So...from what I understand I should have to compile mesa, libdrm and X from git...

Comment

You may not need to compile X from git (as long as you have 1.6, you should be OK), but the rest probably do need it. (DRM for GEM, mesa for the rewritten 3d, and the X Driver for DRI2 and such goodies.) I haven't had time to try this yet myself (No one appears to have a an Arch PKGBUILD so I'll have to make my own sometime) so let me know if it helps!

Comment

Working...
                    X