X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f0rmat
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Yep... X11 colour list (sorry for the spelling, I'm Canadian) plus Wikipedia's list of common fish names:

And yes, I recognize that this represents an opportunity to hack our code names. Please keep it family-friendly
    I think the code names are funny as hell. What about Yellow Red Drum? Or Salmon Red Snapper? My job requires me to use code names all the time....my previous job, at one time, required me to use constellations. That was fun. Now I know about constellations such as Fornax, Horologium, Scorpius, Reticulum, and Scutum, As a source of amusement, we put the constellation "map" on the briefing slide master at the upper right near the title. It was a source of much amusement for our masters - and when they changed our code names, there was actually, many of our higher told me that they missed the constellations. I understand, the pronunciations could be difficult...but we sure enjoyed the discussions (some of which would last for an hour or more) over which constellation name we should use. We actually learned a lot about astronomy and had fun. So it was good.

Leave a comment:

• jojo7887
    replied
    I don't care which codename a GPU carries, what matters to me is this: We're getting open source support from AMD before hardware is even released.

I'm looking forward for these new GPU's, so thanks AMD for the support.

Leave a comment:

• rawr
    replied
    I wonder when there will be a (Indian) Red Herring

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
    Oh, so you people use the X11 color list? Great! I hope there will be one day a Deep Sky Blue Flying Fish then! That would be awesome in space! 🚀🐟
    Yep... X11 colour list (sorry for the spelling, I'm Canadian) plus Wikipedia's list of common fish names:

And yes, I recognize that this represents an opportunity to hack our code names. Please keep it family-friendly
    Last edited by bridgman; 07 October 2020, 11:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• illwieckz
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    • I really hope Blackened is in the color list. I'd love for Blackened Salmon to be a GPU code name.
    For more fun and to lose all of us they can do both Black Salmon and Dark Salmon Salmon. 😎

Leave a comment:

• illwieckz
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Oh, so you people use the X11 color list? Great! I hope there will be one day a Deep Sky Blue Flying Fish then! That would be awesome in space! 🚀🐟

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
    i am sick of all these code-names
    "- doctor, it hurts when i do this"
    "- don't do that"
    Last edited by pal666; 07 October 2020, 09:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Codenames are codenames. Their purpose is always to provide clarity internally - to those in the know - and confusion to those externally. Because that helps keep things that are in development secret. nVidia uses great physicists/mathematicians, Intel uses geographic locations, AMD uses... well, anything they want. Looking back at AMD/ATis history, they rarely seem to use a codename for a generation; normally for a segment of a generation. Previous codenames from ATIs days include "superman" and "piglet". So naming things after an island chain, or fish? Not so bad after all.

Leave a comment:

• b8e5n
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

i disagree with you ANY media attention even bad one is good for a company like amd.
    because this shows interest in the company and its products.

the result of the crazy codenames is maybe: i skip any amd news and buy a dog instead and quit computer gaming as a hobby. so it maybe does not turn out to be what is the purpose of your crazy codenames.
    You are off the point here. i believe he ment that if they could keep some of the stuff secret until release of the kernel, that would help not breaking NDA and revealing details about the gpus they are not allowed to. I agree that this would most certainly help getti
    ng better support on or before hardware release.
    And seriously, who cares of codenames. They are not product name and trying to make sense of a name is not mecessarily a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    The development codenames are awful, but at least AMD has gotten better with release model numbers lately. I hope they shot the marketer that came up with "R9 280X"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X