X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

The only time we had a problem was on a troubleshooting call a couple of months ago - one of the engineers mentioned that he thought a particular line of investigation was a red herring, and then we had to explain to some people unfamiliar with the term that no this was not the code name for a new chip they had never heard of.

Hopefully a one time problem; we just have to be a bit more careful when talking about red herrings.
    That's freaking funny.

Leave a comment:

• OneTimeShot
    replied
    Originally posted by flashmozzg View Post
    I think It's pretty idiotic to think that the only reason for codenames to exist is to prevent someone from connecting some driver code updates with something else.
    They simply exist because the chip needs a name.
    Actually I find execs are really picky about code names. It's not just any name, it has to be a name chosen by the exec. Wines, Ski resorts, places they went on holiday. To be fair, though, it's the only real creative input they get on a project - the rest of their job is fairly tedious...

Leave a comment:

• flashmozzg
    replied
    Originally posted by Berniyh View Post

It's pretty idiotic, tbh. I mean it's clear they're trying to do this to prevent people connecting codenames in the driver code to codenames out in the wild for specific chips.
    Which is pretty understandable. It's just though that in the future it makes everything harder for everybody to understand (including the AMD people) for pretty much no gain whatsoever.
    So far we (meaning the internet community) have been able to figure out these connections between the codenames within days (or sometimes within hours), so in the end, it really is of no use at all.

btw. in this case it's most likely not Cezanne, but instead Lucienne, which seems to be a variant/refresh of Renoir.
    Lucienne Bisson was a daughter of Renoir (hence the connection).
    I think It's pretty idiotic to think that the only reason for codenames to exist is to prevent someone from connecting some driver code updates with something else.
    They simply exist because the chip needs a name. It needs to be called somehow internally. All those RX 9001 & Knuckles are for marketing and can be changed on a whim. There is a long time before it gets to that point and still needs some name.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
    There is something fishy going on with AMD RTG codenames these days.
    For me their last codename was a dead giveaway - "Fukushima Octopus".

Leave a comment:

• vsteel
    replied

It's pretty idiotic, tbh. I mean it's clear they're trying to do this to prevent people connecting codenames in the driver code to codenames out in the wild for specific chips.
    Which is pretty understandable. It's just though that in the future it makes everything harder for everybody to understand (including the AMD people) for pretty much no gain whatsoever.
    Sometimes when a company makes a codename they have some actual reasoning for it, other times there are internet code name generators that are used. Once a project has a name attached it sticks, so even after it is silly to keep using the code name it still lingers because that is what everyone knows the project by. Don't read to much into code names.

Leave a comment:

• BesiegedAce
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

The only time we had a problem was on a troubleshooting call a couple of months ago - one of the engineers mentioned that he thought a particular line of investigation was a red herring, and then we had to explain to some people unfamiliar with the term that no this was not the code name for a new chip they had never heard of.

Hopefully a one time problem; we just have to be a bit more careful when talking about red herrings.
    I was just about to say "I hope this doesn't turn out to be a red herring."

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    It's just though that in the future it makes everything harder for everybody to understand (including the AMD people) for pretty much no gain whatsoever.

Last edited by bridgman; 02 October 2020, 01:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Berniyh
    replied
    So far we (meaning the internet community) have been able to figure out these connections between the codenames within days (or sometimes within hours), so in the end, it really is of no use at all.

btw. in this case it's most likely not Cezanne, but instead Lucienne, which seems to be a variant/refresh of Renoir.
    Lucienne Bisson was a daughter of Renoir (hence the connection).

Leave a comment:

• ix900
    replied
    And its radioactive. Probably feels slimy when you take it out of the box.

Leave a comment:

• kiffmet
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X