X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
    I understand the reasons behind it, but does it really make that much of a difference?
    no, you don't understand. they need name before your name exists, so they have to invent something

Leave a comment:

• rajcina12
    replied
    I will have to get a dictionary for translation between codenames for purpose 1 , codenames for purpose 2 and actual product names.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    As bridgman hinted they are just doing it so they can get the clearance for the code earlier.
    You're absolutely right that this is both silly and stupidly non-helpful in terms of actually hiding anything. However, I don't think there's any real harm in it either so if it's the price for allowing some exec to sign off on earlier code releases it's worth it. Chips already tend to have multiple names, so adding 1 more shouldn't be that much more to manage.

But sure if some dude in some legal department (or whoever is complaining otherwise) is happy now …
    Legal wouldn't care. This has marketing dept written all over it.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 03 October 2020, 04:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Berniyh
    replied
    Originally posted by vsteel View Post
    Sometimes a name changes because the project takes a change of direction and they want to differentiate them. I can think of a product that we are working on with 3 code names that we intermix but they are really referring to 3 subtle changes in the technology. Nothing the consumer would notice or even know about. Our code names are all over the map, the execs don't pick them, normally a project lead or an engineer does and it just happens to stick.
    Sure, but it's not that in this case.
    As bridgman hinted they are just doing it so they can get the clearance for the code earlier.
    There is no difference between Navi 21 and Sienna Cichlid (well ok, we don't know that for obvious reasons, but it's fairly certain).
    The former is the chip name and ID as used by the engineers and pretty much everybody else while the latter is just the code name for the chip in the Linux code.
    That's all there is to it.
    And I doubt it's helping even a bit, because as I said we knew pretty much right away that Sienna Cichlid is Navi 21 and it won't be much different for future generations.

But sure if some dude in some legal department (or whoever is complaining otherwise) is happy now …

Originally posted by brunosalezze View Post

The codename generator is return (Random(Color).toString() + Random(Fish").toString()).
    You're one of these guys telling others that a joke was a joke, right?

Leave a comment:

• brunosalezze
    replied
    btw. in this case it's most likely not Cezanne, but instead Lucienne, which seems to be a variant/refresh of Renoir.
    Lucienne Bisson was a daughter of Renoir (hence the connection).
    The codename generator is return (Random(Color).toString() + Random(Fish").toString()).

Leave a comment:

• vsteel
    replied
    Yeah, but these projects already have names attached to them. So why not use them?
    Sienna Cichlid is Navi 21
    Navy Flounder is Navi 22
    etc.
    Sometimes a name changes because the project takes a change of direction and they want to differentiate them. I can think of a product that we are working on with 3 code names that we intermix but they are really referring to 3 subtle changes in the technology. Nothing the consumer would notice or even know about. Our code names are all over the map, the execs don't pick them, normally a project lead or an engineer does and it just happens to stick.

Leave a comment:

• dwagner
    replied
    Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    Actually I find execs are really picky about code names. It's not just any name, it has to be a name chosen by the exec. Wines, Ski resorts, places they went on holiday.
    If they would just choose code names... not much harm done. But one CEO of a company I worked for insisted to name a venerable new product after some moronic speaking animal cartoon character he had seen on TV while watching with his 3 years old daughter. And that stupid named stuck to the product for several years thereafter...

Leave a comment:

• Berniyh
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    That's one of the reasons we have our own code names specific to Linux SW - it gives us a chance to get a name cleared for use before we start writing code, which can be years before launch.
    I understand the reasons behind it, but does it really make that much of a difference?
    Let's say you released code for Sienna Cichlid, Navy Flounders and Arcturus last year, without the public knowing about Navi 2x etc.
    We would still have known which of the code reflects what type of chip anyway. I don't think it would have made that much of a difference.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    Actually I find execs are really picky about code names. It's not just any name, it has to be a name chosen by the exec. Wines, Ski resorts, places they went on holiday. To be fair, though, it's the only real creative input they get on a project - the rest of their job is fairly tedious...
    That's one of the reasons we have our own code names specific to Linux SW - it gives us a chance to get a name cleared for use before we start writing code, which can be years before launch.

Leave a comment:

• Berniyh
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

The only time we had a problem was on a troubleshooting call a couple of months ago - one of the engineers mentioned that he thought a particular line of investigation was a red herring, and then we had to explain to some people unfamiliar with the term that no this was not the code name for a new chip they had never heard of.

Hopefully a one time problem; we just have to be a bit more careful when talking about red herrings.
    We'll see what happens when you add more of them. After all, this means that you're doubling the number of names, since every chip now has two names.

But funny thing with the red herring.
    Originally posted by vsteel View Post

Sometimes when a company makes a codename they have some actual reasoning for it, other times there are internet code name generators that are used. Once a project has a name attached it sticks, so even after it is silly to keep using the code name it still lingers because that is what everyone knows the project by. Don't read to much into code names.
    Yeah, but these projects already have names attached to them. So why not use them?
    Sienna Cichlid is Navi 21
    Navy Flounder is Navi 22
    etc.
    Originally posted by flashmozzg View Post
    I think It's pretty idiotic to think that the only reason for codenames to exist is to prevent someone from connecting some driver code updates with something else.
    They simply exist because the chip needs a name. It needs to be called somehow internally. All those RX 9001 & Knuckles are for marketing and can be changed on a whim. There is a long time before it gets to that point and still needs some name.
    These chips already have names, see above. And it's not like they are not used.
    Renoir is mentioned as Renoir in the code. Lucienne is mentioned as "green sardine".
    As far as I can tell, these names are only invented for the (public?) code.
    Maybe there is another reason, but I can't think of any, tbh.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X