Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.9 Gets More Fixes For AMD RDNA2 GPUs, Promotes Navi 12

Phoronix: Linux 5.9 Gets More Fixes For AMD RDNA2 GPUs, Promotes Navi 12

A batch of fixes to the AMDGPU kernel graphics driver were sent in today for Linux 5.9. While AMDGPU fixes this late in the kernel cycle tend to not be too notable, this time around there are some prominent items worth covering...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Before adding all this new stuff they should have fixed the problem with AMDGPU causing resume failures on a plethora of motherboards, CPUs, and GPUs.

It started around kernel 5.5, and persists all the way to 5.9-rc6.

Really, at this point it's getting crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
      Before adding all this new stuff they should have fixed the problem with AMDGPU causing resume failures on a plethora of motherboards, CPUs, and GPUs.

It started around kernel 5.5, and persists all the way to 5.9-rc6.

Really, at this point it's getting crazy.
      the amd driver support is and always was bad, bug in their drivers for many years, I'm thinking what laptop I should buy a intel with xe grapfics or a apu, but looking this things I probably will buy a intel one, lesse performance in games but better drivers

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

the amd driver support is and always was bad, bug in their drivers for many years, I'm thinking what laptop I should buy a intel with xe grapfics or a apu, but looking this things I probably will buy a intel one, lesse performance in games but better drivers
        AMD has indeed had suspend/resume problems, that come and go, for almost two years now.

However Intel is an insipid, greedy, unethical, and stagnant corporation that has never refused an opportunity to financially rape consumers. And AMD is the only corporation that has ever forced them to compete and lower their astronomical prices.

So I would never, ever, purchase anything from Intel. In fact I lived with an FX 6300/990FX system for years, knowing that AMD needed the support of every ethical person, and would eventually recover from the disastrous Bulldozer mistake. And when they did I upgraded to an R7 3700X/X570 system with two RX 580 GPUs. And will at least upgrade my CPU when the next Ryzen series is released.

Anyone who buys Intel is simply asking to be financially raped again. So always go with AMD, and help them to overcome whatever problems may occur.

Comment

Phoronix is not an issue reporting system. Why don't you guys just open a bug report on the freedesktop gitlab? Please include what hardware you have exactly, and how to reproduce the problem.

Comment

Cool, looks like there will be RDNA2 release day support for ArchLinux.

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
            buy a intel one, lesse performance in games but better drivers
            Haha, good one. I'm all Intel in my surface pro 4. Suspend/resume? Well... There are hacks. Support from Intel for THEIR touch screen? Hmmm, no. It's all the open source community which has patches to the mainline Intel drivers, but not upstreamed, yet.

By the way, speaking of Intel... I assumed Intel stuff worked fine by bought an Intel Wifi6 PCIe card. It is INSANELY unstable, not really usable in 5 GHz mode. 2.4Ghz works fine, though. Kernel bug reports date back till about kernel 5.5.

So no, grass isn't really more green on this side of the fence.
            Last edited by oleid; 30 September 2020, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
              Phoronix is not an issue reporting system. Why don't you guys just open a bug report on the freedesktop gitlab? Please include what hardware you have exactly, and how to reproduce the problem.
              Huh? Phoronix is a place to talk about all things Linux - the good, the bad, and the indifferent. And of course if you don't like it then you are free to not look at it, but you are not free to moderate it.

In any case the bug has been filed, and many people, including myself, have contributed descriptions of systems, errors, and relevant output. Here's a link:

Comment

I actually think Intel Drivers are far lower quality.

My Intel Atom Netbook had all sorts of display issues and errors relating to the i965 driver when the various APU and ATI Radeons were rock solid. The Atom/Nvidia board I owned was rock solid (although it lost features over time until it became the legacy driver)

I bought an Intel bay trail tablet where they never bothered to get the audio driver upstreamed, paired a 32 bit UEFI bootloade with a 64 bit chip (which involes hacks to get any os except Debian running) the wifi driver is.. weird (works perfectly, but only on certain kernel versions).

Every piece of AMD kit has just worked

ed

audio driver upstreamed. Paired a

Comment

This reads like very productive debugging, patches were found to solve the issue.. And then this bug report was hijacked by lots of people with some seemingly similar issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                    Why don't you guys just open a bug report on the freedesktop gitlab?
                    because that requires some brain work, while buying intel doesn't

Comment

Working...
                    X