• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    ...aaaaand where is the control panel?
    Here: https://github.com/marazmista/radeon-profile
    or there: https://gitlab.com/corectrl/corectrl

I don't want to see AMD spending precious time and resources on what is already implemented (multiple time). It's really better if AMD fills the gaps that are not filled yet, especially the gaps that require too much skills to expect a third-party developer to spawn magically to do the job by himself.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
      Then there is the problem of finding human resources technically skilled and somewhat replaceable so the code-base isn't a useless heap only 1 guy understands when he retires, I am curious what the Rust talent pool looks like.
      I'd say the risk of the lone developer leaving an unmaintainable mess behind him is much smaller with Rust than with C++. Rust can encode a lot of invariant in the type system that can only be encoded in the docs with C++. C++ has more weird features that can be abused to write clever but unmaintainable code. C++ programs are more likekely to be unique snowflakes (build systems, unittesting API type...) than Rut programs.

Annecdotically at $DAYJOB, I've had more success at keeping (ie the quality was good enough) various interns' early Rust contributions than the C++ contributions, even though most had prior experience with C++ but not Rust.

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

Here: https://github.com/marazmista/radeon-profile
        or there: https://gitlab.com/corectrl/corectrl

I don't want to see AMD spending precious time and resources on what is already implemented (multiple time). It's really better if AMD fills the gaps that are not filled yet, especially the gaps that require too much skills to expect a third-party developer to spawn magically to do the job by himself.
        I never really needed it, but it appears now I can set my fan up in radeon-profile instead of core-ctrl on Sway so thank you!

Code:
        yay -S radeon-profile-git radeon-profile-daemon-git
        sudo systemctl start radeon-profile-daemon.service
        sudo systemctl status radeon-profile-daemon.service
        sudo systemctl enable radeon-profile-daemon.service
        Edit: To clarify CoreCtrl has issues loading on Sway that haven't been sorted yet creating complicated workarounds.

Edit 2: $radeontop is pretty cool too for monitoring your GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
          The reason we don't see full blown apps in Rust taking over the Linux desktop is because it's far less productive because the issues it fixes come at a heavy cost and the bindings and style you have to use is alien to the human brain because writing otherwise is not allowed because of the borrow checker - I did a quick look at the Qt bindings - they're disgusting to me as a human.
          My experience is the opposite: the time budget is spent differently but overall I'm more productive in Rust than C++. Maybe you didn't give it enough time ? Rust does take longer than most popular languages getting comfortable with.

I haven't looked at the Qt bindings, but given how C++-centric that API is, plus its own meta-language on top of C++ to handle signals, it's not surprising if it looks bad in a different language. I've heard good things about the gtk bindings however, and a few Rust-native toolkits are starting to mature.

Comment

What the heck?

Is AMD simply trying to tell us they're never going to provide an Adrenalin equivalent for Linux? If so that really sucks. Many people, including myself, have been loyal to AMD for decades, even when their CPU an GPU products were, well, not very good. And the least they could do now that they have some money is finally provide a GUI for us.

I mean really, at this point it's downright disrespectful.

And no, radeon-profile is not sufficient. It's light years away from a a fully functioning GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
              What the heck?

Is AMD simply trying to tell us they're never going to provide an Adrenalin equivalent for Linux? If so that really sucks. Many people, including myself, have been loyal to AMD for decades, even when their CPU an GPU products were, well, not very good. And the least they could do now that they have some money is finally provide a GUI for us.

And no, radeon-profile is not sufficient. It's light years away from a a fully functioning GUI.
              100% this

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                What the heck?

what about:

GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

what about:

GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

Thank you for the suggestions. I tried both of these but neither one comes close to the Adrenalin GUI. They are primarily information tools, with some control capabilities that are much to complex to implement.

In any case, AMD owes us a GUI. It's not rocket science, and they have plenty of money to do it now.

And as I said the fact that they are refusing to do it is downright disrespectful to their loyal customers.

Comment

so Nvidia going ada way and AMD rust way hmm

Comment

By using Rust, will they use GTK? As the most recent gnome apps were written in Rust 🤔🧐

Comment

Working...
                      X