AMDGPU For Linux 5.10 Brings PCIe DPC Recovery, More RDNA2 Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU For Linux 5.10 Brings PCIe DPC Recovery, More RDNA2 Updates

Phoronix: AMDGPU For Linux 5.10 Brings PCIe DPC Recovery, More RDNA2 Updates

Another batch of AMDGPU kernel driver updates have landed in DRM-Next ahead of the upcoming Linux 5.10 kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

eGPU hotplug support. Would that mean that one can hook up an eGPU while X is running, and it will use the external display or eGPU while rendering?

Comment

DPC is about error containment not hotplug. The platform will isolate the device if it generates PCIe errors and the infrastructure provides a way to try to recover the device to a workable state if it ends up being isolated.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        DPC is about error containment not hotplug. The platform will isolate the device if it generates PCIe errors and the infrastructure provides a way to try to recover the device to a workable state if it ends up being isolated.
        Will this help the Dell G5 15 SE?

Comment

Thanks for extra information.

Comment

Originally posted by zakhrov View Post

Unrelated. The Dell G5 15 SE needs a patch in the PCI core to allow the root port that the dGPU is attached to enter D3. Linux currently blocks this while windows allows it. We are trying to sort out what logic is required to safely enable this on Linux to avoid breaking any other platforms. You can work around it by setting `pcie_port_pm=force` on the kernel command line in grub
            Last edited by agd5f; 24 September 2020, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Unrelated. The Dell G5 15 SE needs a patch in the PCI core to allow the root port that the dGPU is attached to enter D3. Linux currently blocks this while windows allows it. We are trying to sort out what logic is required to safely enable this on Linux to avoid breaking any other platforms. You can work around it by setting `pcie_port_pm=force` on the kernel command line in grub
              Cool Thanks for clarifying

Comment

Originally posted by zakhrov View Post

It will probably help with any laptop that has a loose USB-C connection. My Lenovo T580 gets freaky and has to be rebooted if I jiggle the cable. (Edit: Oh yeah and that's in Windows!)

It has some kind of double-wide USB-C for the official Lenovo docks but I use it with a Dell TB16 which is fine, but the connector is a little unstable.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

It will probably help with any laptop that has a loose USB-C connection. My Lenovo T580 ...
                  Interesting. My Lenovo X1 has that problem as well. Thunderbolt will disconnect when I jiggle the cable too much. It's only a problem under linux though. Windows can handle a disconnecting eGPU.

Comment

Originally posted by rvanlaar View Post

Interesting. My Lenovo X1 has that problem as well. Thunderbolt will disconnect when I jiggle the cable too much. It's only a problem under linux though. Windows can handle a disconnecting eGPU.
                    From what I've seen Windows can't even handle a disconnecting Ethernet device from the dock. It isn't every time, but it can fall into a state where the only thing that works is DisplayPort, all Thunderbolt connections are broken until I reboot, even if I disconnect the cable and replug it.

Comment

Working...
                    X