AMD Dimgrey Cavefish and VanGogh Support Lands In Radeon Linux OpenGL Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

You shouldn't need to wait for Van Gogh except maybe for AV1 support, although given all the hate we get whenever we work on protected content support (see Michael's article on TMZ) it's never clear what will happen until someone says "hey it works".
    I understand @bridgeman, and that's really a shame. I'm all for open source, but I'm not a fanatic that believes every proprietary blob is evil. My concern is spyware and malware and tracking (even when it's euphemistically called "telemetry').

And while I'm always happy to use "free" software, I also regularly contribute to open source projects, and buy open source software when I'm able. For example I paid for MakeMKV and Synergy licenses even though I didn't have to.

The Linux community needs to understand that software companies and developers need money to live just like the rest of us, and so long as they charge reasonable prices we should support them. There's a big difference between paying absolutely nothing for everything, and paying thousands of dollars for Photoshop or endless subscriptions to Office 365.

The answer, like most everything in life, is moderation and fairness and reciprocal respect.

As for protected content, I should have been more specific. My primary concern now is being able to play 4K content, which I believe can only be done on specific Intel processors running under Windows.

In any case, wow, AMD is doing such an awesome job nowadays I could just cry. Their fantastic GPUs and CPUs have literally changed the computing landscape, and once again ushered in an era of powerful and affordable computing for everyone.

In fact after living with my old FX 6300/990FX system for far too many years I recently purchased an awesome R7 3700X/X570 system, with two RX 580 GPUs, and I couldn't be happier. And as soon as Zen 3 is released I'm going to drop in an even more powerful CPU.

Of course I'm still a little upset about my old pet peeve, the lack of a GUI for my GPUs, but the radeon-profile GUI will suffice for now, though I'd still love to see an official AMD one equivalent to Windows.

In any case, thank you, and everyone at AMD, for your fantastic work. It is deeply appreciated.

Comment

Copy protection mechanisms are inherently vulnerable anyway, they're only there to appease dumb white collar men with money.

I hate it mostly because it gets in the way of people who pay for it. Pirates are and will always be fine.

Comment

hey bridgman again, loving the pre release naming - please pass along to the person who came up with that one a nice crisp high five

Comment

agd5f https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...er/053408.html
          "We also need to release the firmware when the driver unloads or is that already handled in some common path?"
          Not just that, you also need to release the firmware file into the linux-firmware GIT. :-P

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
            hey bridgman again, loving the pre release naming - please pass along to the person who came up with that one a nice crisp high five
            It was twriter. I'll pass it on
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
              Copy protection mechanisms are inherently vulnerable anyway, they're only there to appease dumb white collar men with money.

I hate it mostly because it gets in the way of people who pay for it. Pirates are and will always be fine.
              I agree, paying customers should be the one getting the most convenience not the ones skipping the fee, and yet...

My best remembrance of this is the first Sacred game, my original CD was always a pain to get to work, thanks to securom (I think), yet the people that just downloaded it never had a single issue. To the opposite is Steam's DRM, which has mostly been painless so I don't mind it much.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                although given all the hate we get whenever we work on protected content support (see Michael's article on TMZ) it's never clear what will happen until someone says "hey it works".
                Yeah, you're never going to win that one no matter what, unfortunately. My sympathies.
                (Though as others have said, it's a losing proposition for the customers too, not just you - it's just that you're the only ones that have to take crap for it).

gl with Navi2.
                Last edited by arQon; 23 September 2020, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                  To the opposite is Steam's DRM, which has mostly been painless so I don't mind it much.
                  I keep hearing this postion, and it's just not true. Steam's DRM is "just fractionally less garbage". That only makes it better in a relative sense, not an absolute one.

As a simple example, for years now Steam has removed the ability to NOT update a game. Is the update broken, and everyone knows it? - don't care, screw you, forcibly downloaded and installed anyway. Doesn't matter if it's a single-player game or not.
                  Slow conn, and you just wanted to play something for 10-15 minutes? Haha, suck it.
                  Don't want literally every minute tracked and stored in a database? Tough. Welcome to games that can ONLY be launched via Steam, and have Steam's tracking package built into them.
                  And I don't know how many months it's been that I HAVEN'T had to update Steam itself first too before even being allowed to do anything...

So, yeah - is it better than "You have to have the CD in the drive"? MAYBE, but even that much isn't really true now that I think about it. I don't remember needing "a working broadband connection" to play SP games 20 years ago. Or having them spend 20 minutes screwing about every time I played. Or forcibly breaking a 40-hour savegame.
                  Even if it WAS better than a CD, it's still DRM, and it's still all about putting you in your place, you consumer filth. And it's still always inconvenient at best, and usually buggy and broken. Steam's DRM is MUCH worse now that it was even just a few years ago, and that trend has been absolutely steady for well over a decade now, boiling the frog for all eternity.

Comment

I pirate all my movies, I've never pirated a steam game except the ones I later bought.

DRM being anything more than a 1 click hassle means my one click is gonna be turning on my VPN and going about my business that way.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
                      Slow conn, and you just wanted to play something for 10-15 minutes? Haha, suck it.
                      or just play it offline, you have my permission

Comment

Working...
                      X