Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RADV's "ACO" Shader Backend Still Pursuing RadeonSI, Early Work On RDNA 2

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RADV's "ACO" Shader Backend Still Pursuing RadeonSI, Early Work On RDNA 2

    Phoronix: RADV's "ACO" Shader Backend Still Pursuing RadeonSI, Early Work On RDNA 2

    Valve developer Timur Kristóf who has been spending the past year working on the AMD Compiler "ACO" back-end for the Mesa Radeon Vulkan driver "RADV" as well as beginning to port this shader compiler back-end to RadeonSI Gallium3D. This alternative to the AMDGPU LLVM back-end has made incredible progress over the past year -- enough so that it's been the default for Mesa's RADV driver. During XDC2020 Day 2, Timur provided an update on ACO...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...DV-ACO-XDC2020

  • #2
    They don't have hardware yet?!? Oh come on AMD, stop pretending being nVidia...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Zgembo View Post
      They don't have hardware yet?!? Oh come on AMD, stop pretending being nVidia...
      Indeed you would think they would have engineering samples...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cb88 View Post

        Indeed you would think they would have engineering samples...
        I hate to have this position, buy why? Until now the status quo has always been AMD does their stuff in-house, releases the GPU and driver, and the community adapts and we all go from there. What makes you think that now would be any different?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

          I hate to have this position, buy why? Until now the status quo has always been AMD does their stuff in-house, releases the GPU and driver, and the community adapts and we all go from there. What makes you think that now would be any different?
          Most of the people working on the AMD drivers are AMD people under NDA already... there is no reason not to give them cards? And for those people that *are* working on AMD drivers but not directly for AMD ... there should be an effort to get them under NDA and paired up with hardware...
          Last edited by cb88; 09-18-2020, 09:58 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by cb88 View Post

            Most of the people working on the AMD drivers are AMD people under NDA already... there is no reason not to give them cards? And for those people that *are* working on AMD drivers but not directly for AMD ... there should be an effort to get them under NDA and paired up with hardware...
            I don't disagree with that at all.

            Comment


            • #7
              AMD does provide hardware to partners in many cases. It's much easier after hardware is launched as there are fewer NDAs and such involved.

              Comment

              Working...
              X