Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon Navi 2 / VCN 3.0 Supports AV1 Video Decoding

Phoronix: AMD Radeon Navi 2 / VCN 3.0 Supports AV1 Video Decoding

It turns out the Radeon RX 6000 series will have AV1 hardware video decode capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They were forced to catch up....

Now where is my 4:4:4 that even Intel has?! I hope this time you really put VCN into detail.......

Comment

This is great news.
      I've always had nvidia, and their HW decoding (with the binary driver) on Linux has always been stellar, with VDPAU and now NVDEC. Excellent when using mpv or the plex client.
      Is AMD's hardware decoding just as good on Linux?

Comment

That's good, but there are a lot of questions still remain about this:
        Which is the maximum supported resolution (2K / 4K / 8K) ?
        Which is the maximum supported frame rate (30 / 60 / 120 FPS) ?
        Which is the maximum supported bit depth ( 8 / 10 / 12 bit) ?
        Hopefully AMD will come with clear answers to these questions and it would be great if they give it for other codecs too like AVC and HEVC.
        Last edited by Danny3; 15 September 2020, 03:34 PM.

Comment

I'm just glad they're adding the drivers before the launch date this time.

Comment

good news thanks for reporting Michael

Comment

Great news

Comment

A welcome change. Now if they wouldn't screw up in the Windows driver for applications like ffmpeg that stick to the spec, like they did for VP9 and refuse to fix until today...

Comment

I am wondering about AV1 encode in hardware, but it seems that neither Nvidia nor AMD bring this to the table in this generation which is sad as the 18 months since the ratification are gone now and we still don't get it...

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    That's good, but there are a lot of questions still remain about this:
                    Which is the maximum supported resolution (2K / 4K / 8K) ?
                    Which is the maximum supported frame rate (30 / 60 / 120 FPS) ?
                    Which is the maximum supported bit depth ( 8 / 10 / 12 bit) ?
                    Hopefully AMD will come with clear answers to these questions and it would be great if they give it for other codecs too like AVC and HEVC.
                    I thought you were using Win7. This doesn't apply to you.

Comment

Working...
                    X