Mesa 20.3 + Linux 5.9 Is In Great Shape Against AMDVLK, AMDGPU-PRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 20.3 + Linux 5.9 Is In Great Shape Against AMDVLK, AMDGPU-PRO

Phoronix: Mesa 20.3 + Linux 5.9 Is In Great Shape Against AMDVLK, AMDGPU-PRO

The Mesa Radeon Vulkan driver "RADV" with its ACO back-end by default is now winning nearly across the board against not only AMD's AMDVLK Vulkan driver with LLVM back-end but also AMDGPU-PRO with the proprietary shader compiler back-end.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are the 5.9 results with or without the CPU regression?

Comment

Still waiting for a test with 570 on this bench, Michael: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...98#post1202998
      Last edited by Mario Junior; 14 September 2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I have a question that is a bit off topic, but I know that there are some AMD devs on this forum so maybe they can say something about it. What I noticed is that games running under amdvlk-open or amdvlk-pro have better image quality than on mesa drivers. Under amdvlk drivers, they look sharper, the color reproduction is a bit better and msaa quality is also a bit better in games that use msaa. Why is that? Is it because amdvlk handles x11 differently than mesa drivers?
        Last edited by user1; 14 September 2020, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
          I have a question that is a bit off topic, but I know that there are some AMD devs on this forum so maybe they can say something about it. What I noticed is that games running under amdvlk-open or amdvlk-pro have better image quality than on mesa drivers. Under amdvlk drivers, they look sharper, the color reproduction is a bit better and msaa quality is also a bit better in games that use msaa. Why is that? Is it because amdvlk handles x11 differently than mesa drivers?
          You should take some screenshots as proof and raise this on the forums if true. Could be important.

Comment

I also would like to see one Polaris card in the benchmark.
            ... for spotting regressions
            ... and as as Polaris user I'm looking forward to Navi2 comparisons :-)

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
              You should take some screenshots as proof and raise this on the forums if true. Could be important.
              Well, I've already seen screenshots comparing both drivers (for example from those who reported bugs on amdvlk github page), and I couldn't see any difference from those screenshots. On my end, I can easily tell the difference without even doing any side by side comparison. I have a wild guess, but can it be related to the cable I'm using? (I use hdmi).

Comment

I have a wild guess, but can it be related to the cable I'm using? (I use hdmi).
                It has probably to do with your colour mode: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=107559. Setting
                amdgpu.dc=0 as suggested in the link might help, although I have also read reports that RADV currently does not respect that setting.

Comment

Please take a couple of screenshots that demonstrate the difference, and open a bug report against mesa where you tell us how to reproduce the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackEdder View Post

It has probably to do with your colour mode: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=107559. Setting
                    amdgpu.dc=0 as suggested in the link might help, although I have also read reports that RADV currently does not respect that setting.
                    I'm not sure if this is related to my issue because he's talking about colors generally looking bad on his monitor, while my issue is with in game image quality under mesa drivers. My monitor is Dell S2418H (glossy IPS panel) which has a pretty good color reproduction and my desktop colors look fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X