Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RADV Lands "Big Page" Optimization For Navi 2

Phoronix: RADV Lands "Big Page" Optimization For Navi 2

It's not clear if AMD has provided the independent RADV Vulkan driver developers at the likes of Valve, Red Hat, and Google with any Navi 2 hardware yet, but they do seem to be making progress on this open-source Radeon Vulkan driver separate from their official AMDVLK open-source driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope this time AMD achieves a smooth GPU launch on Linux with open source drivers and the required code having being upstreamed in time for all the relatively up-to-date distros, Users shouldn't have to fiddle around.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
      I hope this time AMD achieves a smooth GPU launch on Linux with open source drivers and the required code having being upstreamed in time for all the relatively up-to-date distros, Users shouldn't have to fiddle around.
      At this rate it seems like they will. I just hope they have something competitive with the RTX 3000 series, because at this rate it's looking like that might not be the case.

Comment

Was this content of original release plan or is it reaction for nVidia RTX 3000 series launch?
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Still holding on my Vega 64, will only upgrade if performance is 3-4 times better than it. If navi 2 delivers it and has good linux support, might do the jump to a newer card. I sure hope navi 2 competes with low end Nvidia 3600 serie. Else, I don't see any incentive to upgrade. Also, I am a threadripper 1st gen forgotten customer, REMEMBER US AMD ! Might offer a refresh of clocks for those early adopters...

Comment

As a RX 5700XT user I'm looking into Navi 2
            I'm just curious if it will support Ray Tracing at linux in a proper timeline without me getting a long beard while waiting for it. Lack of faster support kills linux as a desktop system for a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by rekrek View Post
              Still holding on my Vega 64, will only upgrade if performance is 3-4 times better than it. If navi 2 delivers it and has good linux support, might do the jump to a newer card. I sure hope navi 2 competes with low end Nvidia 3600 serie. Else, I don't see any incentive to upgrade. Also, I am a threadripper 1st gen forgotten customer, REMEMBER US AMD ! Might offer a refresh of clocks for those early adopters...
              Same for me. I am curious about how Intel's discrete GPU will perform (if it ever becomes available).
              But the way prices are going, I might not be able to afford to upgrade my Vega64...

Comment

I am holding on to my Vega aswell. I only game 1080p and for that it more than suffices. Besides I love it, runs smooth and cool on a custom loop.
                Yet if big navi lands bigtime, I will consider it; just to support AMD. Having the work on the radeon driver already, is pretty amazing.

Does someone know by chance, if there are thoughts to adopt the new Nvidia Ampere feature about having the GPU memory directly transfered from the ssd without being processed via the cpu ? This sounds like software thing that may can be easily adopted to Linux.

Edit: I found a lib here: https://github.com/enfiskutensykkel/ssd-gpu-dma
                Last edited by ntropy; 02 September 2020, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  At this rate it seems like they will. I just hope they have something competitive with the RTX 3000 series, because at this rate it's looking like that might not be the case.
                  Well AMD will beat the RTX 3070 for slightly less money I have little doubt. The question is whether they can match or beat the RTX 3080

Comment

Big Navi is supposed to have twice the compute units as Navi 1. if that remains the case and scaling is pretty linear, without any other improvements, it should have performance close to 3080.

Comment

Working...
                    X