Dell G5 15 (RX5600M) Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell G5 15 (RX5600M) Help

I recently bought a Dell G5 15 SE gaming laptop with a Ryzen 5 4600H and the Radeon RX5600M discrete graphics card. The laptop works fine with the amdgpu.runpm=0 kernel parameter but I have observed some strange behaviour with the 5600M. If I run any GPU intensive OpenGL workload like Unigine Heaven, Gallium Hud shows its clock speed ramping to only around 400MHz. Forcing the high power profile using
    Code:
    echo high > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level
    does not help. I can see it running at the rated 1700MHz when running glxgears but once I fire up Heaven it ramps back down to 400MHz. I know it is not thermal throttling because the temperatures are below 70C and I can see through Gallium hud that the clock speed ramps up with a decrease in GPU load. It is not specific to Heaven eather, Tomb Raider also shows a similar behaviour. I havent ben able to get clock speed information for DXVK games though so I am not sure if Vulkan is similarly affected. I am running openSUSE Tumbleweed with kernel 5.8 and Mesa 20.1.4

OK I just got Mangohud working and I can confirm that it is specific to OpenGL. Assassin's Creed running on Proton+DXVK works flawlessly with the 5600M running at 1500MHz

Comment

Make sure the OpenGL application is actually running on the dGPU rather than the APU.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        Make sure the OpenGL application is actually running on the dGPU rather than the APU.
        It is as far as I know. Running without DRI_PRIME set lets it run on the integrated graphics. The APU runs at 1500MHz but the dGPU runs at a much lower clock speed

Comment

Proton+DXVK games run on the dGPU at around 800MHz The clock speed in the screenshot above is from the iGPU. I had forgotten to set the pci_dev parameter in MangoHud. Here are updated screenshots

Last edited by zakhrov; 24 August 2020, 09:09 AM.

Comment

OpenGL games ramp the clock speed down to around 400MHz. The speeds ramp back up once they are closed

Comment

Working...
            X