Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon's AMDVLK Driver Does Support FreeSync/VRR But The Option Isn't Widely Known

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon's AMDVLK Driver Does Support FreeSync/VRR But The Option Isn't Widely Known

Phoronix: Radeon's AMDVLK Driver Does Support FreeSync/VRR But The Option Isn't Widely Known

There is a common misconception that the official AMD Radeon open-source Vulkan driver "AMDVLK" doesn't support FreeSync / Variable Rate Refresh, but that is actually inaccurate as the support was merged earlier this year albeit never announced or made it into the release notes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We are in the middle of 2020 and AMD has not yet launched a control panel for its drivers, whether closed or open.

We need cli to do simple things. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Fu** off, AMD.

Comment

Please just go with Nvidia and enjoy their crap settings UI that doesn't even work on Wayland and doesn't offer anything but broken pseudo-options anyway. Thanks, hope we won't see you in AMD threads anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
        We are in the middle of 2020 and AMD has not yet launched a control panel for its drivers, whether closed or open.

We need cli to do simple things. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Fu** off, AMD.
        You could fork Nvidia-Settings which is open source btw to manage this.
        But compared to my nvidia t1000 I never had to "write" or modify any config file for my Navi 10 with mesa always pulled from git.

The same for intel iGPU's ....ok 7 years back tearfree had to be switched on manually in the xorg.config file for intel gfx's.

Besides...simple things...what is more simple than a cli? it is the most simplistic way to interact with a computer and it always works even if you don't have a running wm or displayserver

p.s. thanks to the popos devs I dont have to use nvidia-settings. anymore because I can switch hybrid, offload, integrated etc by the system76 daemon.
        Last edited by CochainComplex; 20 August 2020, 10:38 AM.

Comment

should be working for Vulkan games/applications
          Do we have many of those?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            Please just go with Nvidia and enjoy their crap settings UI that doesn't even work on Wayland and doesn't offer anything but broken pseudo-options anyway. Thanks, hope we won't see you in AMD threads anymore.
            How about letting people complain about the software support for the hardware products they payed money for ?
            Just because AMD has done amazing things for Linux, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't criticize at all for the things they are bad or don't want to improve at all like the whole missing control panel for Linux.
            How about a MS RX 570 card that has a 0-RPM feature to turn off the fans, which means less noise and power consumption, that works on Windows by default and you can see in the control panel that this feature is enabled, it doesn't work by default on Linux and you don't even have a control panel to click a button to enable it ?

After months of research I found out that there's a way to make it work on Linux too by installing the custom control panel called CoreCtrl and making a custom fan curve for it.
            But still, it takes a lot of time until you reach this type of knowledge and it's still not as easy.

Comment

Be happy that you can control the fans at all, unlike with Nvidia on Wayland.

"months of research", srsly? Perhaps just read the Arch wiki?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

How about a MS RX 570 card that has a 0-RPM feature to turn off the fans, which means less noise and power consumption, that works on Windows by default and you can see in the control panel that this feature is enabled, it doesn't work by default on Linux and you don't even have a control panel to click a button to enable it ?

After months of research I found out that there's a way to make it work on Linux too by installing the custom control panel called CoreCtrl and making a custom fan curve for it.
                But still, it takes a lot of time until you reach this type of knowledge and it's still not as easy.
                That options must be something MSI or someone advice to amd do that. Personally I have an MSI 480 video card and I prefer to be 800rpm that the 0 rpm as default.

This video card is already overclocked so I will prefer to be sure not to stress my videocard even I'm not playing, it's already using less power maybe a little noise of a fan at 800rpm, but it's also been overclocked by factory make the card freeze in my case when playing a videogame, second that option of 0 rpm I bet is just a MSI option or other video card Manufacturer it's not from amd. Also the fan curve on windows it's not great have some problem.

We always think is AMD fault but it's not, sometimes is the Manufacturer . As you know your card has three options silent, gaming and overclock. The only reference Amd volts and clocks is the silent one you got the same speed of gpu and memory as the reference one.

The others one are for MSI making overclock the card, but you can access from MSI app (on windows of course) and the default one is gaming that is the option you had on Linux too (which is already overclok).

I will prefer to be a switch in the card that let me choose and not by software so it won't depend of the SO itself. Personally speaking I blame MSI than AMD and my fault of choosing MSI.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  Be happy that you can control the fans at all, unlike with Nvidia on Wayland.

"months of research", srsly? Perhaps just read the Arch wiki?
                  it's not about nvidia, its about the lack of support from amd in many things. Ppl who need to wait one year before a new card works like it should is a good thing? Not really, amd support is really bad in all plataforms, garbage drivers even in windows, when we want a life we simple buy a nvidia card or use intel for desktop, they work much better

Comment

No, they don't. VRR works like crap with Nvidia on Linux, while it works well with be it radv or amdvlk.

Comment

Working...
                    X