Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Puma - ATi 780 - HybridCrossfireX and primary display device

Greetings,

I want to ask if is possible to use HD3200 graphic as primary display device with radeon (X.org) driver, or if it will be possible in future.

My configuration:
    Laptop Fujitsu-Siemens Computers Amilo Pa3553 - AMD Puma platform. It contains ATi RS780 chipset (reported by lspci) with HybridCrossfireX technology.

I want to use HD3200 with lower performance (and maybe lower power consumption and heat production) as primary display device and disable HD3470 (I don't need it, because there is no 3D accel. for now).

When I configure it as bellow, screen is black after X start (with backlighted lcd), when I change Int10 to True, screen contains blinking cursor.

xorg.conf section:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier      "Device[0]"
            BusID           "PCI:1:5:0"
            Driver          "radeon"   
            Option          "BusType"                       "PCIE"
            Option          "AccelMethod"                   "EXA" 
            Option          "ColorTiling"                   "On"  
            Option          "AccelDFS"                      "True"
    #       This can speed up movie playback but can in rare cases case instability
            Option          "DMAForXv"                      "True"                 
            Option          "RenderAccel"                   "True"                 
    #       This is for laptop users, it saves energy when in battery mode.        
            Option          "DynamicClocks"                 "True"                 
            Option          "Int10"                         "False"                 
    EndSection
    Yes, I know, no Xv, no EXA for R{6,7}XX but these options are for future use.

In first case (if Int10 extension is disabled) kernel enables this device with output similar to following (current is from HD3400 enabling):
    Code:
     pci 0000:02:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
    ofcourse, pci bus id is differrent (exactly 0000:01:00.5).

I use only radeon driver (currently 6.11). Catalysts aren't solution for me, because I have recent kernel (currently 2.6.29-rc5-git5, oh s... git6 is already here , I am outdated ) with X.org from Debian experimental repository (1.6.0 RC2). And I love system stability with opensource drivers (yes, I hate proprietary blobs, sacriface me ^_^ ).

PS: Sorry for my EN, it is not my native language.

Originally posted by asfalatus View Post
    I want to ask if is possible to use HD3200 graphic as primary display device with radeon (X.org) driver, or if it will be possible in future.
    Yes, I use the same IGP with the latest xserver on Ubuntu Jaunty.

Originally posted by asfalatus View Post
    Yes, I know, no Xv, no EXA for R{6,7}XX but these options are for future use.
    Xv and EXA already work with both radeon and radeonhd, see

As long as you're willing to compile yourself, you can get those features already now.
    Last edited by susikala; 22 February 2009, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
      Yes, I use the same IGP with the latest xserver on Ubuntu Jaunty.
      Do you have exactly the same HW configuration (HD3200 + HD34xx in hybridcrossfire)?

If you answered yes in first question and HD3200 is your primary display device, then my question is, how you make it?

Comment

If there is a way to disable the 3470 and make the 3200/780 primary it would have to be in the BIOS config options somewhere.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          If there is a way to disable the 3470 and make the 3200/780 primary it would have to be in the BIOS config options somewhere.
          I searched in BIOS many times, but there are a few options. And concretely this one is missing too.

Comment

I did find a couple of threads where people said they had successfully disabled the second graphics adapter on that machine but none of them mentioned how they did it ;(

Do you still have the Windows partition that probably came pre-installed ? There might be a utility program there...
            Test signature

Comment

I did find a couple of threads where people said they had successfully disabled the second graphics adapter on that machine but none of them mentioned how they did it ;(

Do you still have the Windows partition that probably came pre-installed ? There might be a utility program there...
              Ten minutes after I bought this laptop I used utility for burning recovery disks of current system (W. Vista). After that I moved 512 bytes from /dev/zero to MBR under debian netinstall session

Comment

Uninstall with extreme prejudice. OK
                Test signature

Comment

Uninstall with extreme prejudice. OK

Why with prejudice? I am not anti-MS extremist, please try to trust me

Comment

Sorry, bad joke. Back in the less politically correct days Unix manuals described the function of the "kill -9" command (ending a process without giving it a chance to perform cleanup tasks) as "terminate with extreme prejudice".

It seemed to fit with what happened to your Windows installation
                    Last edited by bridgman; 23 February 2009, 02:33 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X