R600 Gallium3D Now Has Compute Shaders Working With NIR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    There was a Radeon RX 460 from XFX 3 years ago (a power connector was required though). That's the most powerful AMD passive card to date if I'm not mistaken.
    Raka555
    There are passively cooled GT 1030s too, which don't require a power connector. Slightly slower than the 460 but a hell of a lot faster than the 4670.
    Don't forget about having more modern features, too.

Comment

Wasn't the software FP64 emulation thing reserved for the NIR-path only?
      I believe when NIR gets more advanced all should be able to do GL 4.5

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        If you are still rocking a pre-GCN AMD Radeon graphics card on the R600g driver for the HD 2000 through HD 6000 series, you really ought to consider upgrading in 2020
        You're offering a free upgrade? Where can I sigh up for free upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Raka555
          There are passively cooled GT 1030s too, which don't require a power connector. Slightly slower than the 460 but a hell of a lot faster than the 4670.
          Don't forget about having more modern features, too.
          Modern iGPUs should be about on par with that 460, for people buying new systems. Definitely faster than a 1030.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Modern iGPUs should be about on par with that 460, for people buying new systems. Definitely faster than a 1030.
            I agree, at least if the memory is fast enough. RAM bandwidth is currently the bane of iGPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
              if it just works for your workflow, e.g desktop, code, science, office use? Nope. Save money and resources, and use it another decade or two ;-)
              depending on electricity prices you are unlikely to save money and resources by using 2-3 decades old chips

Comment

Originally posted by Elinvention View Post
                GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 on the r600 driver is available only for select GPUs that have hardware FP64 implementation (Radeon HD 6900 and HD 5800 series). There is a software implementation of FP64, but it is currently used only by the Intel driver, see https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...64-Merged-Mesa. Thus all the other GPUs, including my 6670, are stuck to OpenGL 3.3.
                if you don't really need fp64 you could override it via environment variable and get 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                  I have a fan-less hd4670. It uses so little power, it needs no additional power besides that from the PCIe slot.
                  slot provides 75 watt

Comment

Originally posted by SofS View Post
                    one ought to consider that the amount of energy and other resources used in manufacture, recycling and logistics to build newer parts and discard the old ones is quite significant.
                    all that is already part of price

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      I never understood why people always seem to ignore the big issues regarding wattage, such as fan noise and the heat dumped into the room. The cost of the extra wattage under load is often negligible for desktop users.
                      cost of wattage could be more than cost of product in the long run and cost of product is often non-negligible. noise is evil, heat can be controlled by air conditioner

Comment

Working...
                      X