Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual graphics - laptop

Hello,
    I have an ASUS TUF laptop with AMD integrated and AMD discrete graphics. I want to know if there is a method to fully disable the discrete graphics in the laptop for power saving. or.. Maybe the discrete graphics if there is no graphic workload is almost down and off?
    I am asking because in windows I get 10 hours of battery and in Linux less than a half. I don't know the cause yet, but I don't think the problem is in the CPU..

The dGPU will be powered down automatically when it's not in use by runtime power management. The iGPU will dynamically powergate most blocks on the GPU when they are idle.

Comment

Hello,
      I have an asus fx505dy and even though the dgp seems disabled
      0DIS: DynOff: 0000: 01: 00.0
      1: IGD-Audio: DynOff: 0000: 05: 00.1
      2: IGD: +: Pwr: 0000: 05: 00.00 DIS: DynOff: 0000: 01: 00.0
      1: IGD-Audio: DynOff: 0000: 05: 00.1
      2: IGD: +: Pwr: 0000: 05: 00.0

still consumes energy
      amdgpu-pci-0100
      Adapter: PCI adapter
      vddgfx: 1.10 V
      edge: + 42.0 ° C (critical = + 94.0 ° C, hyst = -273.1 ° C)
      power1: 14.11 W (capacity = 48.00 W)

I can reduce the power consumption a little bit, around 3W, using corecrtl to force use only the lowest states or even a little bit more by filtering the dgpu pci id on boot but never disabling it completely and the consumption is greater than 8-9W.

Comment

When you read the power from the device, the device is powered up to query that information.

Comment

Hello,
          The data are consistent with that obtained at the battery or wall outlet using a power meter.
          I have also confirmed with glmark2 and with games that the integrated card is being used and the consumption of the dgpu while playing continues to be around 10-14W.
          On windows the idle consumption is much lower so it seems that technically it is possible to deactivate it.
          thank you,

Comment

If you are querying the power from the dGPU regularly, it will wake the card every time you read it. It will be powered down when not in use.

Comment

Hi,
              It seems that the 5.10 kernel is going to be as good as the 5.8 for this laptop.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...wer-Management
              davpal@julien:~$ uname -a
              Linux julien 5.9.0-next-20201016 #2 SMP Sat Oct 17 05:50:20 CEST 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
              davpal@julien:~$ upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0 | grep energy-rate
              energy-rate: 5,803 W

and now fans are stopped. Silent on idle and some hour of battery for free.
              Thanks to Lukas Wunner,

Comment

Working...
              X