Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC Display Support Continues To Be Worked On For Radeon GCN 1.0 With AMDGPU Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was an outcry here in the forums when that news arrived, and instead of ending support for GCN 1.0 in AMDGPU they might have considered the benefits of having a single modern driver to support and doubled down on that route instead of abandoning it.

Comment

Since DC seems to be relevant to hdmi audio, I hope this fixes the issue I have on my HD 7750 that when I use the audio output from hdmi with amdgpu driver (which I use for vulkan support) then the audio is at a lower frequency (a semitone lower). I'm listening to a lot of music and I play the guitar so this is really annoying. I had to get a 3.5mm audio cable just to use sound from my motherboard which has lower quality but is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by jrdoane View Post
        I'm glad that I invested in a Vega 64 a while ago. Support for it has been rock solid ever since I got it, which was a nice change from the sketchy support I had with my 390, which wasn't a bad card when it worked.
        I'm still on that R9 390 card, and I've given up on AMD fixing it. I'm just debugging problems myself and sending up kernel patches.

Sometimes you've just got to be like Thanos and do things yourself (except don't try to kill half the people in the universe).

Comment

Originally posted by ThanosApostolou View Post
          Since DC seems to be relevant to hdmi audio, I hope this fixes the issue I have on my HD 7750 that when I use the audio output from hdmi with amdgpu driver (which I use for vulkan support) then the audio is at a lower frequency (a semitone lower). I'm listening to a lot of music and I play the guitar so this is really annoying. I had to get a 3.5mm audio cable just to use sound from my motherboard which has lower quality but is correct.
          Did you connect the speakers to the display earlier? Monitor DACs aren't that good for the most part, your motherboard DAC is probably way better.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Did you connect the speakers to the display earlier? Monitor DACs aren't that good for the most part, your motherboard DAC is probably way better.
            I've tried various things like switching between hdmi/displayport and motherboard audio, leaving only the hdmi cable connected without antying else (with many restarts and monitor on/off) but no change. When switching to the radeon kernel driver then the hdmi/displayport audio works properly again. So it's definitely a problem in the amdgpu driver with my old GCN 1.0 card. Here's my bug report:

Comment

AMDGPU driver is so buggy on my machine, it hangs a lot, and I have to restart my machine to regain control over my AMD GPU, or I am stuck with my iGPU. That didn't happen with the older kernels, it only happens with the newer kernels (5.0+). They only answer I got from AMD developers is to use Radeon driver, because AMDGPU driver doesn't support GPU reset. Not using Vulkan is not optional for me.

Comment

bridgman / agd5f

My thanks to whoever decided to get the "full support for GCN 1.0/1.1 on AMDGPU w/DC and UVD" train going. Much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
                  bridgman / agd5f

My thanks to whoever decided to get the "full support for GCN 1.0/1.1 on AMDGPU w/DC and UVD" train going. Much appreciated!
                  The patches were sent by Mauro Rossi who works on Android x86. Not an official effort by AMD. If you want to thank someone, you should thank him.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

The patches were sent by Mauro Rossi who works on Android x86. Not an official effort by AMD. If you want to thank someone, you should thank him.
                    True.

At least AMD doesn't seem to be actively blocking it?

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

True.

At least AMD doesn't seem to be actively blocking it?
                      Them not blocking it is minimum expected decent behaviour. I don't think we should put them on a pedestal for meeting such a low bar.

Comment

Working...
                      X