No announcement yet.

"Navy Flounder" Is The Newest AMD Navi 2 GPU Being Added To The Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Navy Flounder" Is The Newest AMD Navi 2 GPU Being Added To The Linux Driver

Phoronix: "Navy Flounder" Is The Newest AMD Navi 2 GPU Being Added To The Linux Driver

In addition to the "Sienna Cichlid" support recently published for the open-source AMD Radeon Linux kernel graphics driver, there is another new graphics processor being added to their driver: Navy Flounder...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Navy Flounder sounds delicious, I hope they serve it baked with Panko and Parmesan.

Comment

flounder ...flat... is this supposed to be a mobile chip?

Comment

Surely this is an Animal House reference? lol.

Comment

Nothing about HDMI VRR ?

I don't know about others, but I want an immersive experience when I play games or watch movies so I will use a TV with a large screen.
          If these new GPUs don't come with HDMI 2.1 and be capable of using VRR, they will be DOA for me.
          There's no point of buying a new GPU if it cannot provide enough quality even for TVs from last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            If these new GPUs don't come with HDMI 2.1 and be capable of using VRR, they will be DOA for me.
            Funny, I wouldn't mind if they dropped HDMI support altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              I don't know about others, but I want an immersive experience when I play games or watch movies so I will use a TV with a large screen.
              Blergh.
              Connecting a PC to a TV is what console plebs do, because "uhuh muh big screen, big game uh"

True PC master race get an immersive experience with widescreen monitors, like 21:9 ones, since the screen will be close enough to your face that it will fill your whole field of view.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Blergh.
                Connecting a PC to a TV is what console plebs do, because "uhuh muh big screen, big game uh"

True PC master race get an immersive experience with widescreen monitors, like 21:9 ones, since the screen will be close enough to your face that it will fill your whole field of view.
                In case you haven't noticed I said I want to watch movies too which most of the 2K and 4K ones comes with and aspect ratio 16:9.
                I don't want my movies to be stretched to the point that they look weird.
                Plus I don't want the screen close to my face.
                The farther I am the better.
                Watching movies while laying in bed is also preferred.
                I can't even immagine how can anyone watch a 3-4 hour movie on a chair in front of the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  Funny, I wouldn't mind if they dropped HDMI support altogether.
                  Why, do you like restrictions and limitations, that the GPU vendor tells you to use your GPU only with a monitor and not a TV ?

You're probably and Apple fan too.

Comment

In case you haven't noticed I said I want to watch movies too which most of the 2K and 4K ones comes with and aspect ratio 16:9.
                    I don't want my movies to be stretched to the point that they look weird.
                    On the latest Moore's Law is Dead podcast, Anthony from Tweaktown made the case for 21:9 TVs. Movies have been 2.73 to one or higher ratio for some time, and I think that would be an awesome TV experience.
                    Thankfully aspect ratio detection has gotten so much better, people need to get over the black bars. More tech like OLED will make them disappear anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X