"Navy Flounder" Is The Newest AMD Navi 2 GPU Being Added To The Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    You will have problems only if you are standing perfectly still (will cause many of the same problems that sitting causes), having a bad posture (which is still a problem, standing makes easier to keep a good posture, but you can always do it wrong too), or actually doing manual labor while standing.
    Or if you are obese, of course. So this is probably a problem for 'Murricans. Stop being so fat first I guess.
    Nope, am not fat. (or at least not anymore)

As a general rule, whatever you do you need to always be conscious about your body, and not ignore the little pains or slight stiffness in the muscles that are tell-tale signs that you are doing something wrong. Many people go into hyperfocus mode for hours on end and stay still in completely silly positions like writing on a laptop on a desk.
    Yep, I know this. I don't ignore my body pain.

Also as a general rule DO NOT stand still, either sitting or standing, change position on the chair or feet you load with your weight frequently. For me it's a natural thing, I literally cannot stay still, I feel I'm getting stiff and I have to move. Teachers loved me.
    Hmmm... Same here...

Comment

Displayports on TVs are kind of rare.

Because it's a PC and not a console, it should use PC video ports.
      It is a PC, not a console, therefore it needs to provide lots of options, because Personal Computers are everything about OPTIONS. I am tired of idiots who don't understand this.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

It is a PC, not a console, therefore it needs to provide lots of options, because Personal Computers are everything about OPTIONS. I am tired of idiots who don't understand this.
        In principle I agree but in this specific case it's wrong. There are 2 digital display connector standards and I would like to see only one. It's causing a lot of grief in many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          TVs normally have also other types of inputs, if needed.
          then they have dp input and problem solved, right?
          There are only two standards now, what so hard for a GPU to cover both of them, both the monitors with DP and TVs with HDMI ?
          hdmi is not a computer standard, it's produced by "hdmi forum" instead of "video electronics standards association" and it requires royalties, while displayport is royalty-free

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            then they have dp input and problem solved, right?
            TVs already have 2 video inputs, HDMI and Component or VGA
            I guess for them putting a third input type like DP is redundant and don't want to since is not compatible with DVD / Bluray players and STBs.
            I wouldn't mind if they would put a few DP inputs too.
            Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            hdmi is not a computer standard, it's produced by "hdmi forum" instead of "video electronics standards association" and it requires royalties, while displayport is royalty-free
            Who cares if HDMi is a computer standard or not ?
            It's a high quality video + audio + ethernet + CEC standard and should be supported.
            And paying royalties seems normal to me.
            People who worked for years to design it must be payed.
            And I don't get how can anyone pay 200-300 dollars / euros for a GPU and the GPU manufacturer say that it cannot affort to 10 cents - 1 dollar for royalties ?

Just look at the Radeon VII fiasco...
            It has the horsepower to to power a 4K @ 120 Hz TV, but because of the video output bottleneck it cannot do it in practice and that's a very expensive GPU.
            Do they really want us to believe that they could not afford to pay the royalties ?
            Or what's AMD's solution for that, throw away the TV to garbage and put a small computer monitor on the wall ?

Comment

Who cares if HDMi is a computer standard or not ?
              It's a high quality video + audio + ethernet + CEC standard and should be supported.
              It is unfortunate that HDMI is such a second class citizen on PCs, but it is. For example, HDMI audio from a PC only supports stereo. Nobody I'm aware of does 7.2 encoding. No PC GPU supports Ethernet or CEC over HDMI either, even though adding support for those ought to be trivial.

And of course, Ethernet and CEC are second class even on consumer AV hardware. CEC commands are barely able to turn other devices on and off, let alone agree on how to change volume. Ethernet is worse, with manufacturers completely unable to agree on how to use it.

DisplayPort is a far better computer monitor standard, with good support for standby modes, bidirectional data and multiple transport streams on the same cable. It's data bandwidth is reliably higher than HDMI as well, with manufacturers generally implementing higher speeds in DP first. It is unfortunate that large televisions rarely implement DP. I have the impression it is mostly because the TV manufacturers are cost-cutting tightwads even on their high end $5,000+ systems.

Comment

Working...
              X