"Navy Flounder" Is The Newest AMD Navi 2 GPU Being Added To The Linux Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    I don't want my movies to be stretched to the point that they look weird.
    Don't stretch them?

I can't even immagine how can anyone watch a 3-4 hour movie on a chair in front of the screen.
    lowering the brightness does wonders, absolutely no eye strain even after 15+ hours of looking at the same damn screen.

Also, I'm a strong proponent of standing desks so I work and watch stuff while standing up, like a horse. It's great for ergonomics as you won't ever end up in weird positions for hours on end and then find out some muscles got tangled or stretched and pain you for days.
    I have one of those Ikea white standing desks with adjustable height.

Comment

Why, do you like restrictions and limitations, that the GPU vendor tells you to use your GPU only with a monitor and not a TV ?

You're probably and Apple fan too.
      he is just a true PC master race.

Comment

I don't know about others, but I want an immersive experience when I play games or watch movies so I will use a TV with a large screen.
        I wouldn't recommend gaming with a television. Marketing bullshit and price-gouging aside, there are serious differences in spec between a television and a 'gaming' monitor, even if both are the same size and resolution. It's true that how much of the difference is perceived depends on the game in question (Competitive FPS - massive difference, turn based RPG - maybe no difference).

But that's a bit offtopic, and I agree that any graphics card should provide the latest reasonable HDMI and DisplayPort standard outs, no matter what the user wants to do with it.

Also, AMD employees continue to amuse themselves. My speculation is 'Na'vi Flounder', a marine creature native to the forest moon of Pandora.
        Last edited by Teggs; 16 July 2020, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          lowering the brightness does wonders, absolutely no eye strain even after 15+ hours of looking at the same damn screen.
          This. I have all my screens on a low brightness, and my eyes never get strained.

Also, I'm a strong proponent of standing desks so I work and watch stuff while standing up, like a horse. It's great for ergonomics as you won't ever end up in weird positions for hours on end and then find out some muscles got tangled or stretched and pain you for days.
          I have one of those Ikea white standing desks with adjustable height.
          How would that work? o-o
          Wouldn't that make your heart work more? (due to the standing position)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            How would that work? o-o
            Wouldn't that make your heart work more? (due to the standing position)
            Not just the heart, the whole body is working more (unsurprisingly), that's the point. But it's far from dangerous. People sit down because they are lazy, not because otherwise their hearts would give out (unless we are talking of very elderly, I guess). To actually put dangerous strain on cardiocirculatory system you need to be working your ass off (for example doing Crossfit, or military Boot Camp).

There are medical studies from decent sources that back this practice, for example this https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...h-201501227618
            So while I'm sure there are others that say it's bad it's not just an idea someone pulled out of his backside.

Comment

Televisions actually game very well. Try one of the LG OLEDs. Great response times and support for VRR.

Not that Linux handles VRR or HDR very well yet.

Comment

Not just the heart, the whole body is working more (unsurprisingly), that's the point. But it's far from dangerous. People sit down because they are lazy, not because otherwise their hearts would give out (unless we are talking of very elderly, I guess).
                Hmmm... I see...

To actually put dangerous strain on cardiocirculatory system you need to be working your ass off (for example doing Crossfit, or military Boot Camp).
                That's only if you are not used to it and doing so at harsh levels. After a while of training, it stops being a risk.

There are medical studies from decent sources that back this practice, for example this https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...h-201501227618
                So while I'm sure there are others that say it's bad it's not just an idea someone pulled out of his backside.
                I agree. My mom (a trainer) often tells me to not sit down for too long.
                I always stand up once in a while (or when I need to) and walk around the house.

Edit: wait... Isn't standing for too long unhealthy as well?
                Last edited by tildearrow; 16 July 2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                  That's only if you are not used to it and doing so at harsh levels. After a while of training, it stops being a risk.
                  I'm not talking of risk (i.e. sudden damage, like bursting an artery or tearing a muscle), but of strain (little damage that accumulates over time and will cause malfunctions years later).

You will wear out articulations and cardiocirculatory system if you keep that pace for a long time, and that's why people in the military or some types of sports (and jobs) get seriously fucked up (carrying around 200kg of equipment on a regular basis does not help, for example) and must be replaced after 4-5 years.
                  Some random article about military and back problems https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseas...u.s.-veterans/

Then again, not all men were made equal, so while someone can jump around like it's nothing for decades and for him it's fine, for many it's going to take its toll in 5 years, and some unlucky bastards will get completely disabled by the wear in a couple years.

Comment

Ah come the fuck on vBullettin, I hate you.
                    unapproved post for tildearrow above this.

Comment

In case you haven't noticed I said I want to watch movies too which most of the 2K and 4K ones comes with and aspect ratio 16:9.
                      I don't want my movies to be stretched to the point that they look weird.
                      you don't have to stretch movies. there just will be some non-moving pixels to the left and to the right of the movie. just like there are non-moving monitor bezels and apartment walls around your movie right now
                      Plus I don't want the screen close to my face.
                      The farther I am the better.
                      it makes sense when you have several people and want to put them in the center of screen. for one person farther screen means quadratically larger surface area and price for no reasons
                      Watching movies while laying in bed is also preferred.
                      that's a legitimate reason, i actually have plans for third monitor for such purpose
                      I can't even immagine how can anyone watch a 3-4 hour movie on a chair in front of the screen.
                      feel free to stand infront of the screen. preferably on treadmill

Comment

Working...
                      X