Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Switches To Make Greater Wave64 Use On Navi

Phoronix: RadeonSI Switches To Make Greater Wave64 Use On Navi

While RDNA/Navi brought Wave32 support, the open-source RadeonSI Gallium3D driver for Linux has decided to switch to make greater use now of Wave64 for more shaders...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't it Wave Race 64?

Comment

Originally posted by HarlemSquirrel View Post
      Ah, the theme song to that game was great.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Ah, the theme song to that game was great.

Comment

Yeah I think of that game all the time I hear Wave64
          Wow you just beat me to it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

The radeonsi driver is able to switch between Wave32 and Wave64 based on which one of the two options has higher estimated/predicted performance?
            Looking at the changes, it seems hardcoded by generation, I forgot what is marek's user here, so I'll ping bridgman instead

Comment

Thanks for sharing, but I find that 64-bit theme to be no match for that of Streets of Rage 2, from the humble Genesis.

OneUp Studios did a very nice arrangement of it, as well as I'm sure many others.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                Looking at the changes, it seems hardcoded by generation, I forgot what is marek's user here, so I'll ping bridgman instead
                Navi is the first generation with wave32 support - everything from SI through Vega was wave64 only.

I think Marek's username is "marek".

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                Is the radeonsi driver able to switch between Wave32 and Wave64 based on which one of the two options has higher estimated/predicted performance?
                The current logic can choose wave32 or wave64 for each shader type, ie pixel/fragment can be set differently from vertex, compute etc...

Last edited by bridgman; 07 July 2020, 01:14 AM.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Navi is the first generation with wave32 support - everything from SI through Vega was wave64 only.
                  Has AMD made any commitment to support Wave64 in future generations of consumer/gaming GPUs?

I was under the impression that its inclusion in Navi was merely transitional. Can you say, one way or the other?

Comment

Working...
                  X