Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Queues Its First Batch Of AMDGPU Changes For Linux 5.9: Sienna Cichlid + More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Queues Its First Batch Of AMDGPU Changes For Linux 5.9: Sienna Cichlid + More

Phoronix: AMD Queues Its First Batch Of AMDGPU Changes For Linux 5.9: Sienna Cichlid + More

On Friday the initial batch of AMDGPU kernel graphics driver changes were submitted to DRM-Next ahead of the Linux 5.9 merge window happening in August...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will those changes fix ring gfx timeout bug for navi10 too?
    Last edited by _r00t-; 27 June 2020, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
      The only data I have found in the patches is that the new GPU has 4 SDMA engines, up from 2 in Polaris/Navi.
      Oh, that thing that they plan to disable completely ?
      https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/..._requests/4895

Comment

Fingers crossed for Freesync over HDMI

Comment

There is no new pitcairn etc. uvd firmware posted in the linux-firmware.git tree...
          That has always been a missing piece.

Comment

Originally posted by tiltkoko View Post
            There is no new pitcairn etc. uvd firmware posted in the linux-firmware.git tree...
            That has always been a missing piece.
            I think they plan to use the old firmware with amdgpu.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post

I think they plan to use the old firmware with amdgpu.
              There have never existed a uvd firmware for pitcairn. UVD on pitcairn have never worked in linux, so we need a firmware for it..

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                Fingers crossed for Freesync over HDMI
                For that we would need to have freesync support in general, that we do not have. Right now there is Vesa adaptive sync support. Thats a DisplayPort 1.2a feature. HDMI doesn't provide something like this and Linux is not known to support proprietary "one-way" standards to often. Better buy new hardware for displayport support, because I don't think we will see freesync support at all.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

For that we would need to have freesync support in general, that we do not have. Right now there is Vesa adaptive sync support. Thats a DisplayPort 1.2a feature. HDMI doesn't provide something like this and Linux is not known to support proprietary "one-way" standards to often. Better buy new hardware for displayport support, because I don't think we will see freesync support at all.
                  This is not true. We will probably see Freesync support over hdmi in the future. It is a matter of when, not if. Keep in mind that HDMI has been supported in Linux for years already. I don't understand why people keep repeating the same bullshit, that HDMI can't see support. I am using HDMI for both monitor AND audio right now, and it works perfectly fine. There goes your theory.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                    Thanks for the information. Though let me compare the above information with the precision of information about some features of Intel's Sunny Cove microarchitecture
                    If you're comparing information available on unannounced vs announced products you're probably never going to be happy with the outcome. When we actually announce the product there will be a lot more information available.

BTW along with the increase in execution ports, I would argue that the biggest change in Sunny Cove is the larger instruction window - re-order buffer going up to something like 352 entries from 224.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 27 June 2020, 04:07 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X