Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Queues Its First Batch Of AMDGPU Changes For Linux 5.9: Sienna Cichlid + More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Queues Its First Batch Of AMDGPU Changes For Linux 5.9: Sienna Cichlid + More

Phoronix: AMD Queues Its First Batch Of AMDGPU Changes For Linux 5.9: Sienna Cichlid + More

On Friday the initial batch of AMDGPU kernel graphics driver changes were submitted to DRM-Next ahead of the Linux 5.9 merge window happening in August...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ux-5.9-Round-1

Will those changes fix ring gfx timeout bug for navi10 too?
    Last edited by _r00t-; 06-27-2020, 03:24 AM.

Comment

The only data I have found in the patches is that the new GPU has 4 SDMA engines, up from 2 in Polaris/Navi.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post
        The only data I have found in the patches is that the new GPU has 4 SDMA engines, up from 2 in Polaris/Navi.
        Oh, that thing that they plan to disable completely ?
        https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/..._requests/4895

Comment

Is that all

Comment

Originally posted by winterstars View Post
            Is that all
            I am ready to accept a defeat if you post additional _reliable_ hardware configuration data about the next GPU. The IPC (instructions per clock) compared to Navi1 would be a quite useful datapoint ...

Comment

Fingers crossed for Freesync over HDMI

Comment

There is no new pitcairn etc. uvd firmware posted in the linux-firmware.git tree...
                That has always been a missing piece.

Comment

Originally posted by tiltkoko View Post
                  There is no new pitcairn etc. uvd firmware posted in the linux-firmware.git tree...
                  That has always been a missing piece.
                  I think they plan to use the old firmware with amdgpu.

Comment

I am ready to accept a defeat if you post additional _reliable_ hardware configuration data about the next GPU. The IPC (instructions per clock) compared to Navi1 would be a quite useful datapoint ...
                    Not exhaustive but I have discovered a few
                    • New PCI device supporting HDMI over USB-C
                    • XGMI block to connect to a max of 4 GPUs
                    • Additional SDMA engine supporting DMA over XGMI/IF
                    • MEC queues per pipe is reduced by half probably indicating that the shader array size will not be increased wrt N10.
                    • ME pipes doubled which could probably indicate each pipe feeding 2 SE
                    • Reduced wavefronts per SIMD suggesting improved ILP and/or reduced latencies.
                    • Primitive binning support removed.
                    • 2x VCN 3.0 instances. One for decode one for encode (as of yet)
                    • Almost doubled the sensors used for DVFS
                    • Support for newer VRMs(Infineon) in the I2C configuration
                    • Retired a bunch of scalar operations within the workgroup (from LLVM)
                    • Feature parity with Navi12 for mixed/low precision ops (from LLVM)
                    • Removed a bunch of bugs and hazards like the LDS Misaligned bug et al
                    • New instruction encoding
                    I might have missed a lot more, but these came off the top of my head when I went through the commits some time ago.

PS. There is no defeat. Everybody wins with open source.
                    Last edited by winterstars; 06-27-2020, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X