There's A Proposal To Switch Fedora 33 On The Desktop To Using Btrfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
    Also I'm not very comfortable with defaulting to a filesystem where a developer said this month that "We have far too many real data loss bugs in btrfs already".
    There's no useful context to this quote. All that the dev said is that they have already enough problems on their own, so spreading false rumours about other issues is unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
      BTRFS is extremly slow on the Desktop
      Filesystem has zero effect on the desktop experience, you bloody idiot.

Comment

On all my systems I use btrfs since years, desktops, notebooks and servers, even for glusterfs which is officially not recommended :-) All works fine and btrfs saved my files multiple times in my RAID1.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinTurdeau View Post

Such as...?
          Disclaimer, I am an happy BTRFS user since 2010. However there are some workload where BTRFS is(/was) extremely slow. To my mind it come:

* debian package installation/upgrading
          It was a very unpleasant experience. I solved this issue switching from an HDD to an SSD, and disabling the sync in dpkg. Here how I solved now

* systemd-journald file format: journald does a quite btrfs unfriendly write pattern. I made in the past some tests[*], and I ended to switch from a journald binary format, to a text append only file format. The official solution is to use chattr +C, however be aware that doing so the checksum are disabled.[*] http://kreijack.blogspot.com/2014/06...d-journal.html

Comment

Totally irrelevant for generic use case. If you install desktop with ext4 vs btrfs, the user experience is 100% identical. Let them do whatever they want.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
              Yes, for starters:
              Compression? Yes.
              Data checksum? Yes
              - File deduplication
              - Resizing (enlarging & shrinking) partitions
              - Adding & removing drives on live filesystem
              - Subvolumes (better disk utilization)
              - Improved space & performance with docker and lxc images
              - Snapshots
              - Streaming snapshots and changes between incremental snapshots to another filesystem
              - Optional multiple copies of metadata even on single disk
              - Async discard
              Last edited by pkese; 27 June 2020, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                What's wrong with you? Of course IO has an impact on usability. If everything loads slower then you notice that a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post

- Snapshots
                  - File deduplication
                  - Resizing (including shrinking) partitions
                  - Adding & removing drives on live filesystem
                  - Async discard
                  Deduplication is awesome, but it's still not automatic, and it breaks on defrag (and vice versa) so I wouldn't count it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
                    Look at benchmarks you moron

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      you are doing it wrong. i'm writing it from desktop on btrfs
                      BTRFS is much slower than XFS or EXT4 and this is a fact. There are people still running CPUs from 2005 and "it works fine for my desktop" but it doesnt mean they are not incredibly slow

Comment

Working...
                      X