There's A Proposal To Switch Fedora 33 On The Desktop To Using Btrfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
    one of the strongest argument against btrfs being the default is the benchmarking results posted here on Phoronix showing that performance wise it is still beaten by ext4 for most use cases.
    phoronix benchmarks are irrelevant, because fedora will not replace ext4 with btrfs. it will replace lvm+ext4 with btrfs and it will keep databases and vm images in nocow files. and it will use btrfs snapshots vs lvm snapshots, which will make btrfs fastest

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroPointEnergy View Post
      Why would anyone use a distro that doesn't support BTRFS in 2020?
      fedora supports it, it's just not default partitioning scheme

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
        Ummm. F____ no!!!! While BTRFS has some merit on the server, on the desktop ... hell no. I spend about half my time on the desktop editing movies and pictures and a copy on write file system is shite for that.
        so grow some brain and do chattr +C on their directory

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
          I would have hoped they would talk about the real world performance differences between btrfs and ext4/xfs, and back that up with real benchmarks.
          ok, what is the real world speed of user recovering from failed upgrade due to exhaustion of free space in / volume?
          Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
          Also I'm not very comfortable with defaulting to a filesystem where a developer said this month
          then you should be comfortable that one of this proposal owners is btrfs developer, and he said that fedora should use btrfs by default

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
            If you want speed, then choose EXT4.

If you want stability, choose XFS.

If you want security and advanced features, choose ZFS.
            lol, btrfs is better on all those metrics. it is faster than ext4 if you know what you are doing, it is more stable than xfs(facebook statistics), and it has more advanced features than zfs from day one

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
              If you want security and advanced features, choose ZFS.
              ZFS shills are even more cringe than Rust evangelists. It's just a mediocre CoW filesystem with a lot of undeserved hype.

Comment

Using BTRFS for 6 years now, very happy. Just a little tired of an encryption shim, wish it would encrypt natively.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                  Yes, for starters:
                  Compression? Yes.
                  Data checksum? Yes
                  True. Protection from silent data corruption (data checksum?) is another one. I only hope it's stable enough.

Comment

Originally posted by 240Hz View Post
                    BTRFS is extremly slow on the Desktop
                    actually, when running on spinning rust you might be right.
                    I run btrfs everywhere and where I have old and slow mechanical disks performances are not optimal.

however the benefits of using btrfs are more valuable than the speed (in my case);

Probably it would make sense to propose btrfs as the default fs only when installing on SSD, where btrfs performances are on par (or, sometimes better) than classic fiesystem.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      fedora supports it, it's just not default partitioning scheme
                      But RHEL doesn't. They even removed all the tools and the kernel module.

This will show how independent Fedora actually is or if it's just a RedHat puppet

Comment

Working...
                      X