• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's another proposal - just a few minutes ago:

Proposal to switch Fedora 33.5 from SystemD to sysvinit

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Seems very unlikely. Btrfs is not going anywhere and the proposal lacks commitment from the Workstation team.
      Fedora wants to be openSUSE when it grows up.

Comment

Seems very unlikely. Btrfs is not going anywhere and the proposal lacks commitment from the Workstation team.
        BTRFS is moving ahead with big steps. I follow the mailing list and there are tons of cleanups and improvements. Sure there are still things that needs improvement, but there is an amazing amount of improvements happening. If you track the LTS kernels you are VERY unlucky if you encounter some issues..

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          Does this mean that stratis is dead before it really got started?
          No, Stratis always has been intended for RHEL.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post

BTRFS is moving ahead with big steps. I follow the mailing list and there are tons of cleanups and improvements. Sure there are still things that needs improvement, but there is an amazing amount of improvements happening. If you track the LTS kernels you are VERY unlucky if you encounter some issues..
            Fedora doesn't use LTS kernels though.

Comment

While you're definitely right about Btrfs in Fedora, you're wrong about it in general.
              It's widely adopted by Suse and facebook is not bad for something that's not going anywhere.
              About that: https://facebookmicrosites.github.io...-facebook.html

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                Does this mean that stratis is dead before it really got started?
                No. First of all, this is just a proposal with no guarantees it'll be accepted. Secondly, Stratis is for RHEL and the customers that would be using that will likely be under contract for support services for data centers, centralized deployment plans, etc.

Comment

April Fool's is over. Just use XFS like sane people.

Comment

The way I see it:
                    • speed is mediocre but I don't really need super high disk throughput anyway on my desktop (SATA SSD)
                    • snapshots are super nice
                    • won't ever run postgres on top of it
                    • only JBOD, or RAID 1/10 (RAID5 is bad idea anyway; RAID6 could be alright though)

Comment

Relevant discussion on Linux Unplugged last week with Fedora dev Neal Gompa:

It's time to challenge some long-held assumptions. Today's Btrfs is not yesterday's hot mess, but a modern battle-tested filesystem, and we'll prove it. Plus our thoughts on GitHub dropping the term "master", and the changes Linux should make NOW to compete with commercial desktops.

Cheers,
                      Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X