Clear All

• psihonavt
    replied
    Got it! Thanks, duby229!

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Originally posted by psihonavt View Post

Hey Laughing1! Yes, I know that open-source drivers "support" almost all (if not all) Radeon video cards.
    The question is how hassle-free the support of some card by os drivers.

After digging around on Reddit, I've discovered next: to get the hassle-free experience I need a card supported by amdgpu kernel driver/ radeonsi/AMDGPU-PRO userspace driver. Meaning, if I decide to go with Radeon HD card it should be Radeon HD 7790 or better/newer.

You want a graphics using GCN3rd gen or newer. Any GCN card older than that has caveats. And you have to google search because AMD has released 1st and 2nd gen products for years and years. When you look at a product, just google search what generation its GPU core is. As long as it's GCN3 or better you'll likely have a flawless out of box experience requiring no user input at all.

The product you mention above the Radeon 7790 is a GCN2 and as such it has some caveats. Choose something newer that that which uses a GCN3 or better.
    Last edited by duby229; 18 June 2020, 12:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• psihonavt
    replied
    Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
    Hey Laughing1! Yes, I know that open-source drivers "support" almost all (if not all) Radeon video cards.
    The question is how hassle-free the support of some card by os drivers.

After digging around on Reddit, I've discovered next: to get the hassle-free experience I need a card supported by amdgpu kernel driver/ radeonsi/AMDGPU-PRO userspace driver. Meaning, if I decide to go with Radeon HD card it should be Radeon HD 7790 or better/newer.

Leave a comment:

• Laughing1
    replied
    There are tons of cheap Radeon HD Series cards on eBay. But do they have reliable support from open-source drivers?
    I don't see why not?

Leave a comment:

• psihonavt
    started a topic What AMD Radeon card to pick?

What AMD Radeon card to pick?

I hope you all are doing well.

I'm assembling a workstation for myself from old parts I have in my possession. Nothing fancy:
    1. Intel i5 CPU, 4 core, 3rd gen
    2. 16Gb of DDR3 memory
    3. Motherboard from Optiplex 9010 I bought on eBay for $15
    4. Good enough PSU - Seasonic 500W
    5. An SSD drive

I have a Dell monitor. Its native resolution is 2560x1440.
    I plan to use PopOS as a distributive (if it matters).

The only part missing is a GPU

I've heard that the state of open-source AMD drivers has significantly improved in recent years. So I was thinking about using a simple AMD GPU in my build.
    What I need:
    1. Full support of the resolution mentioned above (2560x1440) during browsing, coding, youtube, and stuff.
    2. HDMI port ideally.
    3. If I could play some old games like Brutal Doom, Quake 2 in 2k resolution -- it would be great.
    4. I would love to spend as little money as possible on GPU!

There are tons of cheap Radeon HD Series cards on eBay. But do they have reliable support from open-source drivers?

Thanks a bunch.
Working...
X