AMD Posts New AMDGPU Patches For UVD Video Decode For GCN 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I'm reasonably certain the whole point of that post was something like, "too little, too late".... He already moved on. As I would guess most people using that generation of hardware...
    Not quiet, vega56 was needed for VR. 7790 too week for that.
    I used to have old VGA monitor and after switching to amdgpu with DAL was a bit upset but switched quickly to DVI. Probably someone also could face this and thus radeon GCN support is still relevant.

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    There is open source code for the DACs in the non-DC code that could be ported to DC. There is also open source code for VCE in radeon that could be ported to amdgpu. It's all open source, if you have an itch, scratch it.
    I would have to try if there were no other options. Sadly it's probably hard to bring to upstream without reasonable coding skills. Especially after years of verilog coding.
    Last edited by nrndda; 18 June 2020, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
      Using your amazing math skills, how is AMD making more money with Linux in this situation?
      Stop trying to use logic and math to make sense of a Qaridarium post. That is a waste of brain cells.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I'm reasonably certain the whole point of that post was something like, "too little, too late".... He already moved on. As I would guess most people using that generation of hardware...
        There is full support for all of these features in radeon and has been for years.

Comment

agd5f have any sense completely replace readeonsi by amdgpu from the maintenance point of view?

Comment

My MSI 7970 Lightning thanks you, AMD devs.

Comment

Maybe it is finally time to stop pretending that radeon is an arguably better driver than amdgpu for GCN 1.0/1.1 ?

Comment

Being owner of a Radeon HD 8870M the kernel defaults to the "radeon" driver.
                I forced it to use the "amdgpu" driver by setting the kernel options "amdgpu.si_support=1 modprobe.blacklist=radeon".
                Thank you AMD for still supporting and enhancing the functionality of my poor old Southern Island chip!

Comment

It's a nice surprise to see the news go from 'we want to drop your Vulkan support' to 'we're bringing SI closer to parity'. I hope this leads to official AMDGPU support for all GCN parts!

agd5f It's technically correct for you to keep inviting people to do this work in the open source code. Those of us who do not have such skills and do not plan to develop them tend to think that we paid for this work when we purchased the hardware. That's an issue between us and the people setting priorities and resource allocation at AMD, I think, not between us and you or other engineers, but it tends to bleed over onto you. Except when an engineer says things like 'we should probably end Vulkan support.' That's a bit more direct. But I hope that can be swept into the bin of history before long. AMD's financial situation wasn't good, and its reinvestment in software support seems to be slow, but I would rather a future where I can acknowledge the good work of software engineers rather than grouse about something. I hope this is a harbinger of better times.

Comment

Patching up the last pieces before moving all the GCN cards into artificial legacy state. Happened with all previous generations.

Comment

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post
                      agd5f have any sense completely replace readeonsi by amdgpu from the maintenance point of view?
                      radeonsi is the mesa driver and provides the userspace acceleration regardless of whether you use the radeon or amdgpu kernel drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X