Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition Updated With WSL Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zaphod_ View Post
    So i will consider using windows with wsl2 on my laptops, even if I would prefer pure linux
    True but you can imagine that the Linux die-hards from 10-20 years ago (when it was very difficult to even install a package) are still very happy to put up with the occasional "rough spot" just to stay away from proprietary solutions. And these kinds of guys are the ones who keep Linux alive.

Comment

wsl2 allows to have the best from both worlds and i am looking forward to test it for the following reasons:
      [...]
      • gaming

[...]
      That's changing though. :-) For an increasing number of games the performance and features are equivalent. There's a fun video on this topic on the Linus Tech Tips channel which was posted yesterday, I think - hopefully it will draw in a few new Linux users!

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

True but you can imagine that the Linux die-hards from 10-20 years ago (when it was very difficult to even install a package) are still very happy to put up with the occasional "rough spot" just to stay away from proprietary solutions. And these kinds of guys are the ones who keep Linux alive.
        Sure and I hope linux support improves further. My next laptop will be a Dell xps with preinstalled Ubuntu despite maybe using it with windows/wsl2

@Cattus_D: thanks, i will watch the video! But as far as i know anti-cheat detection of multiplayer games (i am playing wow classic with some friends) is still an issue and moreover gaming is far too unimportant to me to invest time into getting proton/wine etc. working.
        Last edited by zaphod_; 18 June 2020, 06:21 AM.

Comment

wsl2 allows to have the best from both worlds and i am looking forward to test it for the following reasons:
          • At the company I work for only win pcs are allowed as desktop os → as a developer/data analyst I can use all the linux tools directly on my pc without using remote systems
          • laptops still have many linux issues… my thinkpad x1 gen6 (which was certified for linux…) had more than a year a bug that the touchpad was not working after a suspend.
          • there is a lot software which just works better on windows:
            • watching videos on linux drains the battery like hell due to missing hardware acceleration
            • gaming
            • windows office etc.
          So i will consider using windows with wsl2 on my laptops, even if I would prefer pure linux
          See Microsoft? This is what you cause.

If we don't stop them, then this will be 99% of people's mentality in 5 years.

Comment

Working...
          X